RAK 831 in AU_915 something not quite right

I have some difficulty getting the RAK 831 Gateway working reliably in AU_915.
I’m using 2 RAK end nodes and the problem seems consistent across both.
The end nodes are about 4 m away from the Gateway and get a lot of (50%) of CRC errors. The only channel which seems to work correctly is 917.5 which transmits SF8 any other transmission fails or is transmitted with SF12 even so the gateway and the end node have not moved. It is completely random.

Dose anyone has this combination working? with AU_915?
Any help would be greatly appriciated

Hi @88bit, do you have luck with this rak nodes?

Im strugling to make work the rak811 with OTAA

Im getting in the node:
OTAA Join Start…

And in the gateway i get the JoinAccept answer but the node dont revieve any data, seems it stays sleep…

Yes I have this working, however it was not straight forward.
Are you using the AU_915 Bands?
The first problem I encountered was that you need to implement a channel mask, LoraWan supports 64 channels your gateway however only listens on 8 in Australia this happens to be the second set of 8 (7-15). If you don’t implement this channel mask your end-node will use any one of the 64 randomly.
After a lot of research I released that RAK had a new firmware which allows the use of the AT commands which made things a lot simpler. I did compile from the source but found this quite difficult.
Let me know how you going with this is a bit of a pain at first but when you have it working it works very reliable. I just received my new outdoor enclosure and antenna and I’m looking forward to have a proper outdoor installation. :smile:

Hi @88bit,

Yes, im using AU_915 band, i know the 8 channel used by gateways but i think the problem here is other, i cant get OTAA to work…

I have a 831 gateway with global_conf.json and a 811 traker with AU_915

The node debug gives me the “OTAA Join Start…”

On the gateway i saw two packets:
1- rx with mType:“JoinRequest”
2- tx with mType:“JoinAccept”

then in the debug from rak 811 tracker i dont see any other thing… its like the device never wakes up

i tryed different DR with no luck. Chekecked the RegionAU915.h and compare it with the specs and everythings seems OK.

So, i cant make otaa works on rak…

I have the same combination and OTAA is working fine. I had initially a lot of problems making this work. I have a modified firmware from RAK which allows the AT command set to be used with the tracker board. if you make a search for 88bit on this board you will find a message which has it attached. You can then use the AT command set for the RAK to enter your OTAA credential and any other settings you may wish.

A couple of I ideas.
After the join when you send data what happened when you try to send data? What is the response on the end node when you send the OTAA? do you get an OK? I will send the firmware to you on your email.

the node send the msg the gateway recieve not always

when the gateway recieve the responde takes too much, the node didnt get.

si i suspect its a problem on frecuency not other.

if i set the node to p2p lora alone and not lorawan, the gateway recieve OK