RAK7258 - micro indoor gateway

A good test as well is place a sample in a uWave oven with large mass of water in seperate container to act as absorber - run for a short time such that the water doesnt get hot and with possibility the moisture released transfers heat and see if the plastic gets warm/hot…ok it tests at 2.4GHz but is a good 1st indicator of RF absorbtion from the plastic (Black/Dark Brown or Grey can be recycled with high RF absorbing contaminent content!)

Hi all,
I’m a total LoRa & TTN noob. I’ve just bought a RAK7258 and connected it to my network.
The LoRa light is on, and I can connect to the web console.
I’ve registered it as a gateway within TTN, but I’m not sure what settings to use.

Here is what I do know;
I’m in Australia and using 923Mhz and will connect to thethings.meshed.com.au

Below is an image of my TTN settings; and below that my gateway settings;

I have imported the AS923-925 frequency plan, and added in the server address. But I’m not sure what the gateway EUI is supposed to be (i’m assuming ttn gateway ID??) There are other settings too; but I’m assuming I need the basics to be right first? Also, where do I paste the gateway key (if at all)?

You have to check the legacy packet forwarder box when registering a traditional gateway with TTN. No gateway key is used.

Maybe you can find at this forum more:

1 Like

I see you have help on the RAK forum :sunglasses:

Yes thanks everyone - Its now up and running…! I’m now working on the best place to locate it (indoors).
If I have trouble, I’m guessing I should try a better antenna - but will see how it goes with the delivered one.

This is what I’m getting when a device connects and sends data. I’m assuming the RSSI data is what I should be looking at to judge the quality of the connection? Is that right?

Thanks,
JP

Hi, maybe this helps :sunglasses:

Finally my little boy is playing on to my roof, RAK micro gateway indoor into a IP67 Rak enclosure feed with PoE 48V, 5.8 dBi gain antenna everything working as expected at 9-10 meter above sea level. Not bad for a test, 10.8 km in TTN Mapper and i don´t went further

IMG_20191009_132902738_HDR IMG_20191009_132910535_HDR

And the TTN Mapper map

TTNmapper

With SparkFun RF Pro LoRa node and NEO-6M GPS attached

Node

A lot of fun to come!!!

Is RAK7258 best indoor gateway you have tested? Are there any stability issues over time?

1 Like

Hello @OtvorenaMreza this is my very first gateway indoor and outdoor at the same time. As you can read i put the indoor gateway inside a IP67 enclosure and by now works like a charm like outdoor gateway zero issues and 8 channels working since near two months ago. I really recomend this kind of setup.

I realy hope this could be useful for reference.

Bests regards

Cheers

1 Like

Hello ,

Nice work !!! Could you tell me from where we can buy this IP67 box and how much is ?

Thx!

1 Like

Of course , RAKWireless Outdoor Gateway Enclosure great box for the price.

Tnx! Ive forget to check on accesories on the Rak site :slight_smile:

4.1Watts

Great work! Anyone tested the buffer capabilities off this device?

What exactly are you referring to?

If you mean their attempt to archive packets when the backhaul is down, that’s not really compatible with the design of a LoRaWAN network such as TTN. If it’s the only gateway that picks up a node, then replaying things in order might luck out to work. But getting just a single newer packet to the server first will cause all of subsequently reported older ones to be rejected, as LoRaWAN enforces strict ordering of packets and considers anything out of order to be a replay attack.

And of course non-TTN scemes like running the network server on the gateway’s computer are not on topic here.

I just got one of these:
Works pretty well:
Questions:

Mine has a 16gb Sandisk class 10 SD card. Has anyone had an issue with this? read/write wear etc?

Anyone tried it with POE power?

It has two internal PCB WIFI antennas, anyone tried replacing one or both with external wifi antennas?

NanoSim slot what is it for?

Cheers all

It’s not really relevant while using TTN, but only with the built in old version of chirpstack. There is this idea of using it to archive packets received while offline and then dump them back into a network server, but due to frame count ordering issues this doesn’t work very well anyway - archiving packets is fundamentally at odds with the LoRaWAN protocol.

Due to a kernel bug the gateway will crash if the card is inserted or removed, even when not actually mounted. For TTN I’d pull it out with the power off and leave it out.

Nothing unless you have the version with a soldered down mobile data modem.

Can this gateway be connected to a Lorawan receiver over 100km?

Theoretically you can cover more than 300km with SF7/125kHz and more than 1000km with SF12/125kHz at 868MHz. But you must have s free Line of Sight.
Because the earth is round or there are buildings etc. in between the coverage is limited.
btw there are no special LoRaWAN-receivers. You have a node and a gateway. The gateway is the LoRaWAN- “receiver”.