RAK831 Pi Zero

Yes, I am, and with Jeff and nickbw I only have one extra. You’ll need a RAK831, and they take FOREVER to ship, so order it now.

1 Like

PCBs.io is still fabricating my boards. 15 days and counting. I guess I shouldn’t expect less, but I’m impatient.

Boards sent Saturday, arrived today. So did my RAK. I have … work to do. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got one board soldered up, connected, and working. Some of the other boards are soldered. Either I misread the BOM, or it’s incorrect, because I have some SMT parts which I can’t even SEE much less solder, and I have a lifetime supply of the tri-color LEDs (ordered 8 sets of 10 rather than 8).

@nicbkw and @Jeff-UK, you’ll need a RAK831, a Raspberry Pi with pins, and a microSD card on which to put the software.
Buy the correct frequency model of this: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/RAK831-LoRa-LoRaWAN-Gateway-Module-433-868-915MHz-base-on-SX1301-Wireless-Spread-Spectrum-Transmission-range/2805180_32832894046.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.6dd44461LYJkDQ
Buy a Raspberry Pi Zero W with pins: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3708
I’ll figure out what the parts cost. If you want to email me your shipping address, I’ll figure out the postage I need to charge you.

You’ll need a power supply. It will run off any 5V2A supply (you have to solder the jumper), or any 7VDC-32VDC supply (by default). You can also connect it to a micro-usb connector via the Raspberry Pi.

That’s great Russ thanks, will PM you in a.m. - have a couple of Pi’s & Pi’ Zeros waiting to build GW’s and other stuff in place ready & just sorting RAK position as 1 of 2 recent orders went pear shaped (not impressed!) :frowning: Now need to secure a small handful of 831’s. Cheers, Jeff.

Is there space to add a GPS module to the next revision?

Urgh. I had to loan my only RAK831 to a fellow TTN-Ithaca member for testing purposes. Now I have no way to test the boards. However, I’ve ordered another two RAK831s, so when they get here, I can test the boards and send them out. Dealing with the RAK831 requires patience…

I finally got my pcbs (at ver 1.3A) but I don’t all 5 of them!
If anyone wants one in UK, LMK by private mail.
Cost is £10 (includes individual packaging and postage)

N.B. Original cost was £24 +£12 handling (I might have to pay more duty later, but that would be my loss)

Unfortunately I’m having a bit of bad journey to get my RAK831 Pi Zero setup to work:

First of all PCBs .io processed 2 orders even it showed me only 1. Now I have 10 adapter pcbs. If anybody in Europe wants one, please ping me.
But please be aware it is the 1.3a version, which has some wrong labelling on one side. Because initially I didn’t use a Murata power regulator, but a different one this fried my RAK831 board. Should have measured everything before … lesson learned ;-(
I’ve been in contact with RAKWireless and they suggested to replace the power IC on the RAK831, which was a bit of a new experience as I never soldered a MLPQ-W18 footprint. But it looks like I managed it, at least the leds on the board are working again.
However I can’t get the TTN setup to work. I’m using resin .io for the setup. I started out with ch2pi LoraGW (https://github.com/ch2i/LoraGW-Setup) and assembled everything into a Dockerfile. This worked quite nicely the packet forwarder is started, GPIO4 led blinks, RX blinks and then I get the error:

08:50:39  ERROR: [main] unintended SX1301 reset detected, terminating packet forwarder.

Tried it a couple of times, also recompiled the lora lib with debug options turned on, but nothing really helpful appeared:

##### 2018-05-29 08:50:39 GMT #####
### [UPSTREAM] ###
# RF packets received by concentrator: 0
# CRC_OK: 0.00%, CRC_FAIL: 0.00%, NO_CRC: 0.00%
# RF packets forwarded: 0 (0 bytes)
# PUSH_DATA datagrams sent: 0 (0 bytes)
# PUSH_DATA acknowledged: 0.00%
### [DOWNSTREAM] ###
# PULL_DATA sent: 0 (0.00% acknowledged)
# PULL_RESP(onse) datagrams received: 0 (0 bytes)
# RF packets sent to concentrator: 0 (0 bytes)
# TX errors: 0

This looks pretty empty to me.

I’m using 22 as reset pin. This maps to GPIO25 on Pi Zero. At least that’s my understanding.

I also tried the the off the shelf resin .io installation jpmeijers/ttn-resin-gateway-rpi.git, but with the same results.

So it either looks like I’m missing something or my board has more than a fried power IC …

Is there a way to check if the hardware is actually working? I noticed a couple of test utils in the loragw source, but they don’t compile for me.

If anyone wants all or one of these boards (1.3A) , please contact me via private message on here (UK location)
Happy to accept reasonable offers (less than cost).

There is nothing wrong with these boards (they are very well made), Its just that ordering 5 wasn’t much more than ordering 1 - seems daft for them to sit on the shelf when someone might want one.

Anyone in the US have a spare Pi Zero RAK831 Adapter board version 1.4 for sale? I want one or two but don’t need 4.

Or would anyone in the US like to piggy back off my order?

So it looks I could solve the problem. I am not 100% sure what helped exactly, but it looks like the following options added to resin did the job:

RESIN_HOST_CONFIG_core_freq   250

@nikwest. That would fix the problem. Locking the Raspi’s core frequency to 250MHz this sets the SPI clock speed to 8MHz which is the speed the RAK831 requires. Without this the Raspi and RAK831 cannot communicate.

Was it my imagination or did @Charles post a link to a BOM for the Pi Zero interface board components? There is a link on Github but it points to the Wemos D1 Mini shield components.

I may be wrong but I thought I saw part numbers for the 40 pin socket etc?

Thx

Garry

I don’t have the link but I remember also having seen that link before. It was for the PiZero gateway board, not Wemos D1.

Sorry Guys, when creating a new BOM I reversed the 2
here the correct link
https://octopart.com/bom-tool/bSeZiAE7

That’s fixed in the github repo also

Thanks for pointing this out

2 Likes

Hi,
does someone in Germany have spare PCB Adapter Boards for Pi Zero or 3b?
Regards, Arnd

Thanks @Charles, you’re an absolute legend!

I have been asked to give a talk about IoT, why it is, how it works and where it might go to at the next Wicklow Innovation Meetup, a forum where people where I live share bright ideas and thinking. If I get all the parts to build a Pi Zero W gateway I would like to have it working on the open WiFi at the presentation space. TTN will get a good plug and as I have a batch of Charles’s PCB’s I expect that there may be some other gateways built in the coming month or two.

Again, thanks Charles, legendary contributor to TTN community!

Garry

2 Likes

@LORA_Loevenich
Got some for Pi 3 / Zero (assembled) but for iC880a
and also new one v1.5a for RAK831, PM me for more information