Recommended Gateway Alternatives to the Things Gateway - €300 - €900

What is RED/CE certified? The Pi, the ic880a, The shield inside or the whole assembled product with enclosure? I’m curious because RED certification is really expensive and doing that for product just designed for development and test only would be a great quality engagement and I don’t see any reference on the technical data except this point

Please note that the certification tests for RED-compliance were done with the configuration parameters in Table 3-2 and are only valid with these settings. It is the user's responsibility only to use these settings otherwise the declaration of conformity (RED compliance) become invalid

Would be interesting to see what’s in the ‘Declaration Of Conformity’

The whole assembled product (RPi+iC880A+sandwich board+enclosure) is RED certified, or at least they were doing the neccesary measurements when I asked them a month ago.

1 Like

My DK Gateway is the same type - Working like a charm

This might come in handy

*** SNIP
The reset pin is 5. Check our video tutorial (4:40):

*** SNIP

/Bingo

Hi all,

I am looking for alternatives to a expensive concentrator - would it be possible to add eight separate SX1276 devices instead? (so you get eight channels). These can be coordinate via a common MCU

Thanks

You can only listen on 1 spreading factor, so you needs to have 6x more SX1276’s to listen on all possible SF’s. Also think about antenna signal to all these modules, the required RX/TX switching etc. Maybe a E120,- concentrator isn´t that expensive?

Note that technically it is possible to use a SX1276 to listen to all SF’s in a channel, but you will loose a lot of link budget because it uses CAD (Channel Activity Detection). See the great single channel gateway from Jaap Braam

1 Like

So then you would need 8 antenna’s, all spaced around 30 cm from one another, to still have a gateway that is only 1/6th of the capacity of a €108 concentrator board. :thinking:

2 Likes

Hey @Vinduino Apologies I missed your message about the Laird gateway. I had a problem a couple months ago where a defect caused the gateway to fail and took out one of the ports on my Dell managed switch. There was a batch of gateways that had a defect where the power supply could short to ground. I guess I got the short straw and had one of the bad ones …

I found some industrial gateways based on iC880A on IMST’s website:
https://wireless-solutions.de/references.html

The last reply to this topic was about 1 year ago. I think this topic should, however be a long playing theme which is easier to access and overview than some of the other ones.

We could also list pointers to other, product specific topics.

Should we start another topic with the same name but lowering the price range?

I am not sure the lower side of the range can be lowered considering ooutdoor gateways; I would adjust the title (Outdoor Gateway instead of alternatives to…).
I see the Lorix One has been already suggested: I am very glad of it. It comes with a decent antenna, in a practical enclosure. Price is in the mid of your range.

Thanks UdLoRa for support. Let’s see what the others have to say.

About the lower side of the price range: Please look into MikroTik’s packet forwarder device which seems to beat our expectations.