RED/FCC/CE Certification - Libraries and functions

Hi all,

I am developing a product using Murata CMWX1ZZABZ-078, that is to say STM32L072CZ + SX1276. I would like to get the CE certification (AKA RED https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Equipment_Directive).

As explained (here : OK to design a product with RFM95W + LMIC?) one has to go to an official test-house with a finished product and see how it behaves in tough conditions (Electro-static discharges, RF power from 80MHz to 6 GHz)… The fact that the Murata module is FCC certified is a good point but is far from enough: again, the whole product is tested, with sensor(s), battery and firmware!

Does someone has some experience with those RED tests? More specially: is there libraries/functions/example sthat shows how to configure the LoRaWAN on the device in order to fit the tests?

Thanks!

Just to give a little more input on my own question and also because this test is mandatory for any ready-to-use device sold on the European market. Here are the classical tests of the RED certification:
o Electro-magnetic compatibility - EMC:

• Electro-static discharges: the device has to operate as expected after few positive/negative ESD.
  • Radio-frequency immunity: the device has to operate as expected when an antenna is emitting strongly (if I remember clearly the frequency is shifted from 10% each try from 80MHz and 6 GHz).
    o Radio tests:
  • Checking that the device is transmitting in the right frequency bands, at the right rate, at the maximum allowed power…
  • Checking that the device is not emitting when set in measuring/receiving mode. In other words: the device stays quiet when not transmitting data.

Once said, one can see that the longest tests is RF immunity. A pressure sensor over LoRa for instance, should be programmed to measure and send data every 3 seconds and loop. Also, in order to simplify the tests, only the extreme RF parameter of LoRa are tested: maximum power, extreme bands (for region EU868, that has 868,1 - 868,3 - 868,5 MHz, the 868,3 can be disable), extreme spread factors (if using all, for EU868, only the SF7 and the SF12 are tested).

In my case, I would like to know what is the best way to set RF: one way can be adapting the EU868 by removing the middle bands, spread factors…

Any experience with this?

We did certify a LoRa module only with the RF part, so we can have the flexibility to select the STM based on the application and run our device firmware on it along with the LoRaWAN stack.

We now use it in 5 devices and when certifying the devices, the RED directive is already covered by the module’s test reports, therefore the lab is only testing it for LVD and EMC, which is very easy for battery powered devices.

I am the CEO of MClimate. My CTO did the certification and said there have been more challenging certifications for him - e.g. a device controlling a water heater with 32A relay and e-meter.

I’d advise you to get in touch with certification laboratory and ask them more about the actual tests.

2 Likes

Hi all this is valuable info. I am planning several battery powered sensors and would like to know the best suitable module containing SX1276 for a certification in EU. I saw that maybe the shielded modules may work best for that, maybe already certified modules. I currently look at plain LORA, not Lorawan, which should be the same in regards to the HF tests being made.
@lyanchev how did you certify only RF part, I thought when you make several products having slightly different hardware, although when they have same RF part, you would need separate certification for each hardware?
Are there any testing labs recommended in regards to pricing and experience with that kind of applications?

Remember this forum is for the discussion of LoRaWAN\TTN.

Yes and for that topic it does not make a difference, the underlying LORA modules / HF frequency / modulation is exactly the same, as long as the application software complies to duty cycle regulation, frequency setting etc., of course we will also have LoraWAN versions of the sensors but at that point of time for certification it’s not that important

Hi emtex_de,

Shielded modules are great, but I would say that putting effort in respecting EMC rules in PCB design is the most important factor in becoming RED certified.

I do not have recommendation for any testing lab as they offer same services (at more or less the same price). Because it is quite expensive, some advices:

• do an pre-certification (like 1 day with ESD test and RF susceptibility)
  • do this pre-certification early (correcting PCB/mechanic is indeed more expensive when done late)
  • be prepared for the D-day (with several devices ready to test for instance).

We developed and certified our module that we use in all our devices.

Later, when we do CE certification for a device, it works like with any other module - you send the notified body the CE certificate (including RED) of the module and they attach it to the device dossier.