Regarding the working of listen-before-talk

Hello everyone,
I some confusion regarding LBT mode in LoRaWAN.
So, in LBT mode the end device opens a receive window before transmitting. I am confused that what is the configuration of that receive window.

In other words, during the receive window the end device listen to the entire channel (all spreading factors) or a specifically configured transmission on that channel?

Thanks,

LBT should be modulation/datarate agnostic and simply read the RSSI for the selected channel before transmitting.

An example implementation can be seen in the isChannelFree function for the Sx1272 driver.

2 Likes

Thanks for your response but why should LBT be datarate agnostic?

Suppose one of the end device transmits on channel-A SF7 and at the same time other device wants to transmit on channel-A but at SF-10, according to LBT the channel is busy, but practically the message can be sent successfully.

Am I missing something here?

The other use of the channel in progress might not even be LoRa

While it’s true that there is a limited degree of orthogonality of certain spreading factor / bandwidth combinations when the signal levels aren’t drastically different, that only protects the LoRa side. Another channel user might well be using a modulation which would be more readily interfered with by a LoRa transmission.

Essentially the answer to both questions is “because the spectrum is not reserved for LoRa alone”

2 Likes