RN2483 General Purpose UART

Hi,
I am using Microchip’s RN2483 LoRa mote. I see there are dedicated UARTTX and UARTRX pins in the board. Can I use another USB to UART converter to connect directly to those pins so that I can send custom commands from my PC terminal (docklight, for example) to the device? I didn’t see any sys commands in the RN2483 module commands user guide to work with the UART like those given for controlling GPIO.

Please help!
Thanks

The uart pins of the rn2483 module are connected to the microcontroller of the mote. When you connect the mote (with default firmware) to your PC that microcontroller behaves like a serial adapter so no need to connect one.

The GPIO pins can be freely used for whatever you want. The serial port of the rn2483 is reserved for communication with a host controller to allow sending commands (like the sys commands) and can not be used for other purposes.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. So, if I disable the UART communication from the other controller in my board (a PIC18LF), will I be able to then use RN2483’s UART pins?

Thanks

At that point you can connect a 3v3 level uart to it so send instructions to the rn2483 and receive it responses. It is not (and will not be) a generic uart you can use to communicate to other devices, just the ‘command channel’ of the module.
Keep in mind that the controller in the mote already behaves like a usb to uart when you connect it to a pc with usb. What do you want to achieve by connecting directly to the rn2483 module?

1 Like

Thanks, no I was just studying the module’s capability.
Do you know anything about the RN2438’s storage memory size?
I wonder because, the Fw update hex file (v 1.0.5, I got it from some forum) is around 180 KB, so I suppose it should have an EEPROM inside it. Do you know it’s size?
( I could successfully update the Fw with that file using Microchip’s LoRa utility software).

The rn2483 has flash memory for the firmware. There is other memory in the module as well, however you can’t access any resources yourself without using the commands listed in the API documentation. (Which basically means you can’t access the flash)
Or you can program the embedded controller within the rn2483 module yourself to access the memory, however that removes the certified lorawan stack.

1 Like

Yes, it uses a Microchip 18LF46K22 processor, 64K Flash, 1K EEPROM, 3.8K RAM.

Not sure of what interest that would be as far as TTN is concerned.

1 Like

Which you can’t access using the API. So not very useful. There are 256 bytes of (external to the controller) eeprom which can be written to using sys set nvm commands.

1 Like

Thanks. I asked about the memory since I wanted to know if I can perform Firmware update over the air using TTN?

Given the fair access limit of 10 downlink messages per day, that might take a very long time.

2 Likes