Rn2903 receive window not ms?

When I send an rx command to the Rn2903 with a rx window, it seems not to be milliseconds. For instance, if I give it a command like “radio rx 1000” it comes back with the timeout radio_err in about 16 seconds instead of 1 second. I have the wdt set to 0 for this test. However, if I set the wdt to say 2000, then I do get the radio_err back in 2 seconds. So the wdt seems to be correct, but the radio timeout is way off.

Can anyone shed light on this?

rncomm

see the 2 notes

Yes, I already complied with those notes. The wdt was 0 = infinite, and I had sent a mac pause command. If I give a finite wdt that is higher than the rx timeout, it acts like the wdt is the radio timeout as I mentioned in my example.

and how is the RN module connected, to a MCU or USB/serial ?

It is connected to a raspberry pi via the usual serial interface pins. I’m talking to it from Python. I also have a reset pin connected that I use when I first init the radio.

Everything works - I can send and receive with no problems, but the oddity of this timeout is bugging me.

Thanks,
Jerry

as stated its not in milliseconds but the number of symbols … for LoRa.

I wondered about that, what does that mean, the number of symbols ?

the number of symbols also depends on the spreading factor.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. Probably in actual usage for me, I will just check what the timeout needs to be, given the spreading factor I am using - with a little trial and error. I guess the PIC coders of the RN2903 didn’t want to have that code do the internal calculation so a user like me could just expect a number of ms. Maybe it would have been too much code for their available memory or the time they had.

One thing I really wish they had provided was signal strength, rather than just snr. I used to use moteinos which provided that and it was helpful.

Cheers,
Jerry

1 Like