Scaremongering - Other LoRaWAN network providers

I’ve had a awful lot of bad attitude on a Lora Facebook group (which I will leave unmentioned). Mainly from a Telco overseas who implemented their own LoRaWAN service.

Apparently for using TTN I can expect terrorists using my Gateway… Full liability for anyone else sending data through it… And investigation by UK security (Mi6 etc) …

Obviously seeing TTN as competition :wink:

3 Likes

oh noooooooooo :scream:

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

5 Likes

Perhaps you need to be naming them as any operator talking like this is clearly desperate for business.

Andrew

1 Like

I agree with all above; ignore them. I can tell you here in the US there’s one particular operator I won’t name any names to avoid getting into ‘trouble’ who actually uses LoRaWAN and sells it through a third party as IoT from their ‘factory’…but don’t tell the client that it has nothing to do with their own cellular network!!! It’s mind-boggling!!!

I’ve worked for the cellular industry for well over 21+ years and I know WHY they’re telling you this (and we all here know as well). I won’t go into a whole ‘chapter of RF dynamics’, but from a radio frequency standpoint there’s really almost no contest as LoRa modulation is made from scratch to ‘deal with the noise’ in the airwaves, which is critical for any wireless communication. Granted, we can only send very small packets of data, but when you can send hundreds to thousands of those at 10x to a 100x UNDER the noise floor (in effect, negative Signal to Noise ratio), you can easily understand why SIMbased LTE, NB-IoT and CAT-Mwhatever technologies would be ‘concerned’. Plus, this is a global, open-sourced and highly secured community drivenrevolution’ that can’t be contained or monopolized as cellular, even with new ‘open’ attempts such as CBRS. I could go on, and on.

And it is not just cellular. This week a number of restaurant chains decided to replace their Bluetooth technologies in favor of LoRaWAN as well : https://enterpriseiotinsights.com/20190719/channels/news/lorawan-on-menu-at-shake-shack-five-guys-hard-rock

There are risks and rewards in any technology, and every individual successful (or not) execution is completely up to whoever is building it. But having so many advantages against disadvantages right from the start is extremely good news. At least for us - maybe not for some (not all) cellular carriers who can only benefit from utilizing LoRaWAN as part of their overall wireless solutions. :red_circle:

2 Likes

This topic has to be understood as a small part of the ongoing “netheads vs bellheads” war that has been running since the 1980s.

The telecom companies (bellheads) thought that they were going to control the world of technology and take the lion’s share of the value chain money using ATM and OSI (remember them?).

Then, in the late 1980s, the netheads delivered TCP/IP and the Internet. Huh?

The bellheads rebuilt using mobile networks making huge revenues from minutes and SMS texts (remember them?).

Then, 10 years ago, after the bellheads had spent billions on radio licences and more billions developing the IP Multimedia Subsystem (heard of it?) the netheads delivered the smartphone and more netheads delivered skype, whatsapp, twitter, facebook, etc. driving a truck through the bellhead business plans.

The bellheads realised that they had lost the Internet of People (IoP) and invested a lot to take control of the Internet of Things (IoT) onto the mobile networks.

Then the netheads hijacked free RF spectrum meant for stuff like garage door-openers and re-purposed it for 15km IoT networks. What the fxxx???

And now you expect the bellheads to be polite???

7 Likes

Totally @cultsdotelecomatgmai ! Well put sir.