Secure OpenWrt environment with a LuCI GUI on a DLOS8

Maybe someone has experience with the creation of firmware for Dragino Gateway, since the standard firmware leaves a lot of OpenWrt options open.
How realistic is it that a semi-professional can put together his own firmware for a Dragion Gateway?
otherwise someone has already tested the last published firmware lgw - build-v5.4.1598286158-20200825-0025 (according to the relay notes, the LuCU has been removed) and would like to share his experiences with us?

Quite realistic.

Decide what you want to do, and do it.

But the decision part seems to be missing from your post…

Hi cslorabox,

thank you for your assessment that it might be able to build a firmware myself.

To find out what I am missing in the original DLOS8 firmware, I have set up the device as far as possible according to my needs.

With help from a good frend, we figured out, that by the Firmware: Dragino-v2 LG02_LG08-5.4.1592223557 of the DLOS8, it is possible to get excess to the LuCI GUI. You have to enter in the Dragino GUI as a root user and open a second tap with the same IP-Adresse/cgi-bin/luci.bak and you have a lot more option to do that what you imagine from an OpenWrt device. A little bit is missing in the LuCI GUI and I have to reach out to my friend again, to have the DLOS8 working as I have expected.

I will share my decision and my experiences with the DLSO 8 soon.

Thank you and may LoRa be with you!

It took me a bit of time to get more familiar with OpenWrt, but I think it is the right way for me to continue with the Dagino-Gateway with the default firmware. In the meantime, Dragino has also published instructions in the Dragino Wiki on how to install LUCI with the current firmware (only via the terminal is it still to difficult to me to adjust everything correctly according to my needs). And I can only recommend everyone to take the firewall settings into their own hands, as the default web interface does not offer any options for the firewall settings!
What I also find extremely useful is the option that I can use LoRaWan with TTN on the one hand (to support TTN) and also send the data directly to my MQTT-Broker from the gateway.

In the meantime I’ve also got myself a LG308 for a second location, where I still have a few error messages, but I’m confident that they will soon be resolved.

May LoRa be with you!