Seeedstudio Sensecap gateway on TTN?

Hi there, and happy new year!

Has anybody been able to reconfigure a Seeedstudio SenseCap LoRaWAN gateway so it works with TTN? I’ve seen TTN appear on an old architecture diagram (but not newer diagrams) and although I can see how to reconfigure the SenseCap sensors to use TTN, I cannot find anything to show how to reconfigure the gateway.

I’ve been lent one to evaluate. I am interested in it for a solar project as it has fairly low power demands (3.6W).
Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark, HNY2u! :slight_smile:

Page 11-19 here?

If you still have problems email to ?
sensecap[at]seeed[dot]cc

You may need to check that the internal Seed Server and Local LoRa Server (Chirpstack) are off…

1 Like

Jeff’s link suggests they provide decent support for TTN.

Beyond that it seems like it’s basically a Beagle running Debian so assuming you can get a root shell, you should have a lot of options even beyond the factory software.

1 Like

Brilliant, thanks very much @Jeff-UK - works a treat!

Hope all is well with you and you’re settling in for another lockdown?!

Thanks - it is interesting in the docs on their website now they don’t talk about reconfiguring their gateway for ttn - instead they suggest using a 3rd party gw but give instructions on pointing their sensors at ttn

Glad to hear sorted. Yes, just waiting for Boris tonight! Nothing like trying to do biz with a drag anchor in tow but guess its for the wider good! :slight_smile: Hope you are continuing to thrive/survive in current climes also… will PM to arrange catch-up sometime soon.

1 Like

in the docs on their website now they don’t talk about reconfiguring their gateway for ttn

Not sure I agree; the same PDF linked in Jeff’s post is linked from the gateway product page.
It covers many topics, once of which is pointing this gateway at TTN.

Granted, it’s the second of two links, the first may be for the stand-alone capability.

That’s odd - when I looked earlier today it was giving an example with a Dragino gw!
Ah well, it’s sorted now :slight_smile:

Does anyone have any info on doing the opposite: connecting a 3rd party LoRa node (Adafruit Feather MO RFM9x) to a SenseCap gateway? Thanks!

Nodes connect to networks, not to gateways. Gateways merely pass the traffic between the server and the node, they don’t “terminate” the “connection”

If the sensecap gateway is correctly connected to TTN, then connecting the node to TTN through it is the same as connecting a node to TTN always is. Also note that the Adafruit Feather M0 is just hardware, it is the software running on it (hopefully a current checkout of MCCI LMiC) which is capable of interacting with TTN.

If the sensecap gateway is not going to be part of TTN then the question is not on topic here

Perfect answer. Thanks. Yes, the gateway will be connected to TTN, so all should be good. I will verify the software version.

It’s more a matter of what you will need to download and compile than what is already there.
Should be the same as using MCCI LMiC on TTN in any other context - though do note in the instructions for that software that you need to add a jumper wire to the Adafruit board to route a missing signal back in.

LoRaWAN is a ratified international standard so there is no concept of 3rd party node, if it meets the spec, then it doesn’t matter where it comes from. This applies to gateways as well.

Check out LMIC-node as a no-brainer (if you read the docs) firmware for the Feather with the widely documented mod as mentioned above.