Send message to all devices within an application

Hello Guru’s,

Of course I can write something that reads all devices from an application and sends a message to all those devices separately. But … is there a way to send a message that gets distributed to all devices that are connected to the application? I’ve tried with mqtt, but no luck so far.

Tnx for your attention.

Sjoerd

I have not encountered such a thing, I don’t think it exists.

Indeed, you can just query the EndDeviceRegistry End Device APIs | The Things Stack for LoRaWAN and list all devices, then queue a downlink for each one of them.

Depends on your devices, there is Multicast:

https://www.thethingsindustries.com/docs/devices/multicast/

but for Class A devices you would have to script something to downlink for each device - which could potentially destroy reception of uplinks in an area for some time.

What is the use case of needing to tell all the devices something at the same time?

1 Like

I did not know of this multicast. Thanx for the tip. The idea is to use lora devices in a foxhunt. The group message is to be used for the start-signal and status-messages from the control-booth.

Sounds like a better match for Lora, LoRaWAN is more about device to central messaging. For what you want if you use LoRaWAN you need to use Class C (otherwise the signal might not get to the device in time) and multicast.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.