Sensing water with something other than a water sensor

Imagine a plastic box (about the size of a shoebox) with holes in the side. What kind of sensor(s) could I put in there to reliably detect the presence of about a half inch of water? This is in an outdoor environment. Could a proximity sensor detect something that shallow? Maybe a float connected to a micro-switch? Any ideas anyone? I have an LSN50 LoRa Sensor Node.

You could install a IR Lidar on the top of the box looking downward and measure to distance to the bottom of the box. As water enters the Lidar’s measurement would change. They are available with an I2C connection. Not sure if the node has I2C available.
Crude, but it could be made to work.

1 Like

Any active component will draw power so one example from white goods industry (10’sMu shipped/yr) is e.g. dishwasher where they have a (usually metal - sometimes plastic) tray under the unit to capture leaks or run off from door open/close, etc…they simply use a small float switch that triggers if water builds up and shuts machine down/stops it starting cycles & alarms at the machine…so as you suggest to yourself micro switch + float- that would be my pref route if just interested in detecting a pre set level.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.