Single Channel Packet Forwarder part 2 [Deprecated]

For ESP8266

Good summary @bluejedi

If in the case it does not support OTAA, it means that gateway only have one way communication, right? It will be excepted by my country law if it does not transmit or transmit < 50mW (eirp).

Somsak

Thanks.

OTAA requires downstream traffic from gateway to node (ā€˜end-deviceā€™). ABP only requires upstream traffic from node to gateway. So upstream only.

In practice it would be possible to support downstream messages but not support OTAA, but hallardā€™s gateway for Raspberry Pi (currently) supports neither OTAA nor downstream messages.

True, but only if the node does not use ADR or other downlinks. (For ABP, there is simply no joining phase as the ā€œsessionā€ keys have already been programmed into the device, so no downlinks are needed to join the network. Once those keys are known, OTAA and ABP devices act the same for uplinks, downlinks, ADR, and so on, until an OTAA device somehow loses its keys and needs to join again.)

Hmmm, assuming weā€™re referring to gateways for TTN: I doubt that. If TTN thinks a gateway can do downlinks, I donā€™t think itā€™s going to use that only for ā€œdataā€ downlinks, and not for OTAA (or ADR, or other MAC commands)? Gateways just forward whatever the node or backend gives them; they donā€™t know if a downlink is some OTAA Join Accept or any other type of downlink.

Thanks I now have the whole chain working!
Node, single channel gateway, ttn configuration and http output to my own websiteā€¦

regards
Hans

1 Like

In the ESP32 section there also is the lorawan nano gateway code for the LoPy - written in Āµpython.

https://docs.pycom.io/chapter/tutorials/lopy/lorawan-nano-gateway.html

Thanks. If you or someone else can specify which features and MCU platforms this single channel gateway supports then I can update it in above list of single channel gateways.

It supports OTAA, ABP and downstream messages.
The configuration is kept separately in a dedicated file that can be uploaded to the board using USB or FTP - and maybe other network protocols on the wifi side like HTTP, havenā€™t tried.
It listens on a single frequency, but Iā€™m not sure about multiple SF or not.

As for the MCU, this was written for a LoPy : ESP32 board running the micropython ā€œinterpreterā€ from pycom. I donā€™t know if it is possible to flash that on a different ESP32 board, but it should with some tweaking as itā€™s all opensource.

Thanks. Added it to the list.

1 Like

Fixed.

(Pity that the code lacks any instructions in a readme.md.)

Thanks to LoRa ESP developers! Wanted to share idea to use Tic-Tac enclosure for the LORA ESP8266 single ch GW glued to the window glass and a Thing with Arduino and HTU21.

1. Tic-Tac plastic boxes can be easily cleaned from printed labels using WD-40.
  2. In the Thing had to supply HTU21 from 5V and use a pullup 10k on SDA signal.
  3. Example with SF7 works, but when tried to change registers to transmit in SF12 mode then the GW receives it but data are errorness.
  4. I use simple wire antena. Range is ca 200 m in the city. Would it make big difference to use enamelled transformer wire for antena?

Tic-Tac box LORA ESP8266 single ch GW and Thing Arduino RFM95 HTU21

2 Likes

Also, Tic-Tac boxes can easily be cut to get a smaller size, while still fitting their white top:

3 Likes

Do you think this module can be used a non-solder single channel Lora Gateway?https://es.aliexpress.com/item/868-MHz-915-MHz-SX1276-ESP32-LoRa-0-96-Pulgadas-de-Pantalla-OLED-Azul-Kit-32/32836591865.html?spm=a219c.12010108.1000023.4.7012662dCWvGFn

It has all the hardware needed for that yes, but I am not sure anyone have done the software part yet (porting a single channel gateway code to that platform).

More information on those boards in BIG ESP32 / SX127x topic a somewhat lengthy read.

1 Like

See List of single channel gateway implementations higher up.

While not as good as your external SMA antenna, for the fun factor using one of these small GSM PCB antennaā€™s could make it fit all inside a single tic tac box, antenna included.

Small GSM PCB antennas

FYI, as GSM antennas might not be the best match : Someone designed some of those which fit Lora frequencies, available on PCBs.io.

Post reference : https://lowpowerlab.com/forum/rf-range-antennas-rfm69-library/alternative-pcb-dipole-designs-(433-868-and-915mhz)/

Probably a bit too long for a tic tac box then.

we continue here Single Channel Gateway part 3