After 2 years, I have finally completed the Greenclay LoRaWAN Smart Garden project! I am now able to monitor and manage my outdoor garden using LoRaWAN. I have developed a complete package which includes a dev kit, garden controller, and mobile app. Here are some technical details on the hardware:
- Power consumptions is around 1.6uA in deep sleep
- Powered by a single AA LiFePO4 battery with solar replenishment
- No regulator needed since the LiFePO4 provides a nominal voltage of 3.2V
- Arduino compatible for the nRF52840 which comes with integrated BLE
- 10 GPIO pins and all standard Arduino outputs
- 5V regulator with SHDN for interfacing with 5V devices
- Vertical USB for easier debugging and field servicing
- Fits perfectly in the WP-28F outdoor enclosure from Polycase with room for external connections and daughter boards
The dev kit is essentially designed to run outdoors where low power is needed. I’ve been running it the backyard for several months and it has been running great!
What you see in the backyard picture are 5 of my kits integrated with my Garden Controller daughter board. The Garden Controller does the following:
- Monitors soil moisture and soil temperature
- Accurately measures water flow and consumption via pulse input from a water meter
- Controls a latching solenoid water valve
Data updates are currently set at 20 minutes and the batteries are still at 100% for the last 5 months. I expect several years of battery life from the project. I also have a mobile app, but I figured the forum would be more interested in the hardware
I developed and designed the entire system myself in spare time, so I had a lot to learn. Thanks for looking and feedback welcome!!