Smart Garden Project Complete with Mobile App

Thank you very much @czuvich

The registration of devices on TTN is a very valuable feature.

I assume you are using the application manager api.

Also the interface of the app seems very nice. Is it developed using Flutter or other similar framework?

Yup.

Thanks! I used Xamarin Forms.

1 Like

As someone in the Ag sector and very interested in the application of IOT in the industy your designs intrigue me.

I have a few questions if you don’t mind: What soil moisture sensors do you use? Is there the ability to measure the moisture at multiple depths? Eg different rooting zones. Can you measure the ambient temperature as well? This is useful to see the difference.

Otherwise I’m very impressed.

Thanks Frankie. I use the Vegetronix VH400 sensors for soil moisture.

The probe can be inserted vertically or horizontally. For optimal results, you’ll probably want to install 2 sensors. One at the top of the soil and another at root zone. I’ve had the best luck installing them parallel with the ground plane to get the widest area possible. I only use one sensor though since I only need a rough estimate.

I use the DS18B20 temperature sensor which could be used for either ambient or soil depending on the enclosure. I currently use it for soil temperature since I like to see how the soil is doing underneath the mulch.

One thing to keep in mind is that temperature does have a slight impact on the soil moisture readings with these sensors.

This is a great project. I have been considering a similar project.

Which latching solenoid water valve did you decide on? The ones I have found made using solar and small batteries difficult as they required too many amps to switch.

Thanks for the background reference.

Thanks! I’m currently using a blend of the 1" PGV Hunter valves with DC latching solenoid and the K-Rain DC Latching solenoid.

Thanks for the info. I’m trying to resolve some of the information you provided with these solenoids.