Smoke detector

Hi,
could somebody recommend me a good smoke / fire detector which is able to notify via TNN?
I found this one:

but I’m afraid that it can not connect to TTN? Additionally I found out, that it will not notify via LoraWan at all?
Thanks,
Johannes

Works perfectly with TTN.

1 Like

really? and what about notifications? is there a message sent when it detects smoke/heat?

Haven’t had to test that part yet :grinning: Manual states it will notify. However because notification is never guaranteed in LoRaWAN you should not rely on that,

Hm, I’m sceptical. Look at this topic:

Are there other smoke detectors which are reliable and easy to order in europe?

I have one Zenner sitting on my desk and exchanging traffic happily every 24 hours. You are referring to ‘ancient’ information.

Ist ja sehr interessant, nicht nur für Sicherheits Fanatiker wie mich.
Muss mich aber als Anfänger hier 1mal durchwühlen.

Vielen Dank das ich dabei sein darf und schöne Grüße in die Runde

Wolle

Translated to English:
It’s very interesting, not only for security fanatics like me. But as a beginner I have to go through this info first. Thank you for being there and greetings to all of you

And you are sure that if smoke is detected, this is notified immediately to TTN?
Does anybody know an alternative smoke detector of good quality?

As I wrote before I never had the ‘opportunity’ to test. However I am sure you can not rely on receiving any notifications due to the way LoRaWAN works. If receiving notification of a smoke detection is required at all times you can not use LoRaWAN.

1 Like

I know that LoRaWAN is not reliable. At my location I’m the only one who uses it - my gateway and my sensors. The traffic is very very very low - so I think that the smoke detection notification will get received in most cases. Anyway - the notification will only be an additional warning.
The question is - will the ZENNER detector notify or not? I cannot find a datasheet with the messages sent etc.

Wow - thank you for the information, but please, can you tell me what you didi to get it work?
I created my own TTN Server from the documentation and it works, (Configuration | The Things Stack for LoRaWAN)

it’s a public server, not localhost. I integrated a kerlink Gateway and because the zenner devices did not join nor have I seen a join request, I bought a second Gateway from mikrotik and it works too.

I bought an heltec CubeCell Board too, and tested heir arduino examples, and wonder what, it works too…

I than bought a second Zenner Smoke detector, 'cause I dont know if the first one has ever connec to to somewhere else, studied all docs from Zenner they send me… but Id not get mine connected…

Zenner has a wired DevEUI like FRZI0cxxxxxxx and Zenner told me, DevUI and AppEUI and AppKey will be set from Zenner - but they didn’t tell me how to get them… for shure, I tested all I found on Internet (but that’s not much, what means, i haven’t found the right things) :slight_smile:

Maybe you can help me? How do I have to add these Zenner devices?
EU863-870 in my case - Which information am I missing???
thx a lot
Martin

I’m not sure about how sensible a LoRaWAN based smoke detector is on an own hosted stack but …

Each device has to have it’s one personal unique (world, if not universe wide) DevEUI - so finding some on the internet seems to be rather futile.

Zenner’s phone number?

Ah your kidding with me - sorry for not beeing an expert

Which bit am I kidding you with?

It’s OK to not be an expert.

But really, if the docs say you should get the keys from Zenner, the best thing seems to be to contact them rather than search for keys on the internet …

I never said I am searching for KEYS in the internet, I am searching for information, but dont get me wrong… Your answer may dissapoint some people…

Here my communication, I guess you can translate it for yourself: The supports answer is in italic
---------->
Hallo Support Team,

vielen Dank für die Dokumente, die wir jetzt alle studiert haben.

Wir bekommen in der Tat leider kein Zenner Produkt, zum Beispiel den Zenner-easy-Smoke-Protector zu einem Join überredet. Wir nutzen TTN V3. Im übrigen auch diverse andere Zenner Produkte nicht.

Grundsätzlich kann man alle LoRA Geräte(Rauchwarnmelder, Wasserzähler, ….) von ZENNER in jedem LoRaWAN Netzwerk einbinden.

Da wir TTN nicht kennen, können wir leider nicht sagen wie dies funktioniert. Beim Kauf vom Rauchwarnmelder bekommen Sie von uns alle technischen Datenblätter, die wir Ihnen mit dem letzten Mail geschickt haben, zugestellt.

Wir finden unseren Fehler einfach nicht. Die Korrekte Funktion unseres Gateways haben wir überprüft, Arduino-Code-Dev Devices und andere TN-Lora-Devices funktionieren einwandfrei, technisch steht dem so wie es scheint nichts im Weg. Wir benutzen ein eigenes Gateway und einen eigene TTN V3 Server und bekommen jede Menge daten, die wir auch debuggen, convertieren zwischen HEX/Base64 und Text.

Ihren Sensor haben wir von den Stadtwerken xxxx bekommen, für die wir zur Zeit ein TTN Netzwerk planen und aufsetzen. Die Stadtwerke Hattingen benutzen fast ausschließlich Zenner Geräte für die Auslesung der Zähler, Wärmemengen usw in den Industriegebieten in Hattingen und auch in den Wohnungen. Grade als Stromversorger und Gas-anbieter sind da viele Möglichkeiten zu erwarten.

Ich benötige daher doch nochmal Ihre Hilfe.

Wie setzen sich konkret die:

DevEUI

AppEUI

AppKey

zusammen? DevEUI, AppEUI und AppKey werden von uns als Hersteller vergeben und sind dem jeweiligen elektronischen Lieferschein zu entnehmen oder sind über den Lieferanten der Geräte zu erfragen. Falls Zweifel bestehen, können wir im Ausnahmefall auf Anfrage diese auch nochmal für Sie verifizieren. Mir scheint da gibt es Unstimmigkeiten oder wir sehen die Infos in den Dokumenten nicht.

Woran können wir VOR dem Join erkennen welche LoraWAN Version die Geräte nutzen?

Es gibt leider keine Möglichkeit. Sie können davon ausgehen, dass die Geräte, welche Sie von uns haben, LoraWAN Version 1.0.1. nutzen.

MAC 1.0.x – MAC 1.1 und welche PHY Version das entsprechende Gerät dann benutzt? PHY V1.0.1 oder PHY V1.0.2? Wir gehen davon aus das die Geräte nach EU863-870MHZ funken mit SF9 für RX2, ist das korrekt? Aktuell senden die Geräte mit SF12!

Bezüglich der MAC und PHY nutzen wir die Standard-Einstellungen welche Semtech für LoRaWAN empfiehlt:

Salesforce

Zusätzlich sei noch der Hinweis gegeben, dass die Geräte, wenn sie bereits gejoint sind, nur mit Hilfe von Software und zusätzlicher Hardware (MinoConnect Opto Set) zum Aussenden eines erneuten Join Request gebracht werden können

Können Sie uns Dokumentation dazu zur Verfügung stellen?

Beste Grüße

strong text

That sort of implies you were looking for keys. My bad.

BTW, a DevEUI is usually supplied as a hex string, so anything starting FRZI0cxxxxxxx won’t be valid.

I’m not that invested in your situation to read your full email. I don’t need it to be translated to see that Zenner say the keys were sent to you - or you could ask the public services dept that supplied it for them, as if they bought them from Zenner, they were likely the recipient of the keys.

We can’t just magic up the keys for a device for you and if instructions are given by a manufacturer we do recommend you follow them in the first instance. If you have done something that we aren’t aware of that we suggest you do, there’s no point trying to call us out, we are immune to ‘OP lack of detail’ because it happens so often.

Okay, I understand, thanks for your explanation! I am good with that.

Your vendor should supply you with DevEUI, AppEUI and AppKey required to register on TTN. If they didn’t supply it you will have to contact them to request the information.

And it totaly doesn’t matter if I add the device as LoraWan version MAC 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 or 1.1?

It seems to me that I need to know some mor details, or is this it only important AFTER joining my Server.
I am asking that because I have to decide that BEFORE I know that. If I add a new device I need to do it manually an I have to decide what version TTN is expecting? I am using TTN V3 on my server.

And if you are able to join zenner devices, what information did you use besides DevEUI, APPEUI and AppKey?

I use OTAA, MAC 1.0.1 Frequency Plan Europe 863 SF12 for RX2 as Zenner support told me.

I would be glad if you can help me, honestly - I am quite desperate…

Martin