Software Defined Radio and The Things Network

What are your thoughts on the opportunities and considerations with regards to software defined networking and The Things Network.

For example related to what these guys do? http://sodera.org

Love to hear your thoughts.

2 Likes

Cross references:

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/forum/t/frequency-scan-band-with-nodes-with-dvb-t/64

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/forum/t/software-defined-radio-project-for-lora/1204

Wienke,

I’ll think SoDeRa is a new kid on the block with a very promising future. It’s currently shown on MWC and with the Open Source roots, combined with Canonical backing, this thing has the potential to become popular. With respect to TTN I would consider this as a gen2 gateway which just like all thech, stays on the same price level as the previous gen, however you’ll get more functions.

For me personally, I’ll decide to support it on IndieGoGo next week when there is a bright future of IoT operators to support it. That might be KPN (don’t think so) and that might become TTN (I’ll hope so). Main reason could be the integrated radio device, which prevents me to have all kind of radio base station in a smart home with interference issues and an non optimal power consumption due to device scattering. Plus future extensions with Apps. Wow.

Kind regards,

Manfred

And what do you think are the risks of such a technology? You can become a serious radio pirate with this device. E.g. will this device pass FCC?

Well sure there are serious risks. However, I expect the following scenario. Drones are full of risks now they are in the hand of masses. Regulation will slowly adapt to that as we can see in the US where there now is regulation to register them, just like ordinary planes. With SDR equipment like the SoDeRa, I’ll expect that there will be implementations of it by service providers/vendors which will be restricted and more or less closed. These ones will subject of FCC regulation and will be accepted by the network operators. The devices which will be sold/build directly by Hacksters/Makers/Tinkers are really dangerous, however they require just like all tech, responsible behouviour of the ones deploying it. And public network providers will try to prevent those to get connected to their (Inter)networks. So it’s a matter of timely regulation, well doing behaviour and organization. For me personally no reason to discourage this type of devices. Preferably not, advantages outreach risks in my view.

Hi,

It might be good to know that I’m part of a small team who is thinking about a showcase with SoDeRa, now called LimeSDR deployed with Ubuntu Snappy on TTN. I’m in contact with the Ubuntu guy about getting eraly access to LimeSDR.

Really interesting! Please let us know more if there were any new updates.
(However it seems SoDeRa will be used as a hacking tool more than a solution for coverage which they’ve mentioned in the website, especially in licenced bands technologies. But what they’re doing is so amazing.)

Listening for the ISS with Raspberry Pi 3 and SoDeRa :sunglasses:

1 Like

@BoRRoZ thanks :smile:

Also possibly of interest: using LimeSDR (previously known as SoDeRa) to decode Bluetooth Low Energy packets and control a 433MHz RC mains switch:

http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/blog/an-intel-powered-wireless-multi-tool-for-the-iot-part-2

Receiving and decoding LoRaWAN Class A uplink with LimeSDR and Pothos or similar probably wouldn’t be that difficult.

SDR would certainly be interesting for LoRa(WAN) R&D and, subject to licensing, for use in app enabled/multi-function devices and possibly infrastructure gateways with many parallel receiver channels.

1 Like

Internet-connected Drones at IoT Asia 2016

For example, at present in the oil and gas industry, a pipeline of 200,000 km could be subject to an inspection program that lasts up to 18 months. Whereas with Dronebox incorporated into an IoT network, it would be possible to shorten that process to under a day.

and this is a nice SDR board :

1 Like

Regulatory certification is possible for SDR-based gateways. The trick is that the hardware must restrict the user to legal operation (tx frequency, power level, etc). Sure the devices will be hackable, but it is up to the community to not abuse this capability so we can maintain a friendly regulatory environment.

Very excited about possibilities with SoDeRa and similar. HackRF is another inexpensive tool. Do be aware though that these SDRs have a very wide RX range and typically low resolution ADCs which results in poor selectivity. So, they will not be able to pick out weak signals on a busy band on their own. Also, these SDRs usually lack TX filters and amplifiers required for useful TX projects.

But, once a low-cost SDR chip comes around for the bands used by LoRa, perhaps some ambitious community members will take on an SDR gateway project for TheThingsNetwork… One benefit would be ability to receive LoRa signals on all channels simultaneously.

Software Defined Radio App Store Voice? Data? Frequency hopping? Trunking?

There is now an SDR implementation of LoRa for use in R&D:

Developed with and for LimeSDR (previously SoDeRa), but should work with other hardware platforms.

2 Likes

And one more LoRa implementation, this time for GNU Radio: https://github.com/BastilleResearch/gr-lora

1 Like