Solar Lipo PWR management Module

Hey Community,
I’ve put together a stackable shield for Wemos D1 (Esp8266). In combination with the following

one can easily realize solar powered nodes. Simply stack a Wemos D1, WeMos-Lora shield and my “GreenLeaf”.

some of the features of my board are:

• JST-PH2 connectors for LiPo and Solar Panel
  • INA219 current and voltage monitoring of supply battery (accessible via i2c)
  • brown out detection with KA75330. can be used or not with the help of a jumper
  • MCP73871 optimizes solar charging and takes care of over voltage, under voltage protection, smart load sharing and battery temperature monitoring
  • i2c access via pin headers: either via +, -, SCL, SDA or -,+,SCL,SDA (reverse polarity because different manufacturers use different standards. in case you want to add displays, sensors or other stuff)

Let me hear what you think. If somebody is interested in building it, i will publish the schematic and everything that is needed (gerber, etc…).
Next will be a single board integrating all those features mentioned above but with the ESP32 :smiley:

IMG_2100

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-17 um 09.50.31

Nice job.

Is there space to look at a version with an INA3221 so we can monitor solar, battery & load?

Nice Job Tobias, when will the board be available to make.

that should be possible, 3 more shunts to be placed.
@descartes have you worked with this library?:

is it working fine?

I will publish all necessary data this week :slight_smile:

I’m allergic to library bloat so I have about 10 lines of code that do the same job as two hundred. I’ll dig it out and put it on GitHub

great! can you share the link here please?

Folks,
here is the data:
Schematic_DIY SOLAR BAT BASE V10.0_2020-06-18_09-22-36.pdf (61.2 KB)

Gerber, Pick&Place, components etc. on instructables:

2 Likes

and the newest achievement:
this thingy merges all the features mentioned above with a WROOM 32 chip.

it’s practically a fully autonomous development board with solar lipoly charger/management architecture.

Circuit board

1 Like

Looking good!

PS. I hold the copyright on the conspicuous red patch wire!

PSS. Haven’t forgotten about the code - tied up with shipping something this week, probably be at the weekend.

1 Like

Blockquote PS. I hold the copyright on the conspicuous red patch wire!

:smiley: it’s the lora antenna

Blockquote PSS. Haven’t forgotten about the code - tied up with shipping something this week, probably be at the weekend.

great !

Nice but I’m wondering why ESP8266 (with limited available IO) when using SPI LoRa?

The WROOM32 is an ESP32, the big brother of the ESP8266 - plenty more IO than you are thinking

I overlooked the WROOM32 mentioning further down. :roll_eyes:

Did the Greenleaf and the single board (looks good!) ever go anywhere - the Instructable seems to be missing in action now??