Starting with Lora

Hello Everyone, I would like to start a project with Lora, the idea is installing 5 nodes , 3 moisture sensor and 2 Temperature sensor and collect data from those nodes. For thar I need to buy a lorawan Gateway. I would like to know what is the cheap and best option for me, is it possible do a gateway with raspberry PI model 2?

The questions are from a newbie guy,

Thank you.

If the distance allows for an indoor gateway you could look at the TTIG. Or if you don’t mind hacking with an RPi and have experience creating your own solutions based on it, search eBay (LoraWan EMB- LR1302 - mPCle-868MHz | eBay) for old Helium hardware which can be reused with some effort. However there is no guarantee you’ll be able to get it to work without a lot of effort.

What is the max distance from TTIG? I need +/- 300 meters of distance

That question amounts to: how long is a rope?

It all depends on the number and type of RF obstacles between the sensor and the gateway. With many concrete walls you are lucky if any gateway works for 50m. With just one single stone wall and nothing else in the line of sight it might be over 5km.

The gateway position is more important than the gateway model. For best coverage mount a gateway as high as possible outside so there are minimal obstructions between the gateway antenna and the sensors antenna.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.