SX1276 and SX1278

Hi everyone.

I have a sx1278 chip, and plan to use STM32 LoRa® software expansion for STM32Cube.
But STM32 LoRa® software expansion only support SX1276.
In Lora-net repository, LoRa Mac node support SX1272 and SX1276.
So can I use "STM32 LoRa® software expansion" or “LoRaMac-node” for SX1278 without any implement?

Thank you so much.

1 Like

SX1278 does not support the frequencies used by TTN, as a result I doubt there is a lot of knowledge on this forum regarding that chip and software stacks for it.

Hello kersing,

TTN still doesn’t support the rfm95 (Ra-02 433Mhz)?

433 MHz is supported, however you will need a gateway that supports the frequency as well because current deployments use the higher frequency versions.
Using 433 MHz is discouraged as it will lead to non standard deployments where interoperability becomes an issue.

I appreciate your answer.

So we are able to use esp32 and Ra-02 (433Mhz)…

Is there any map exist that it determine the gateway in UK?

Also, I couldn’t find a proper wiring diagram between Ra-02 and ESP32 which is compatible with LMIC library. May I kindly ask your advice about this issue?

I am not aware of any 433 MHz gateways deployed in the UK. TTN standardizes on 868 MHz in the UK. As I mentioned in my previous reply, you will need to install your own gateway and effectively create a new network that is incompatible with the current devices being used. So my advise is to invest in new devices which is cheaper then investing in a gateway.

Have you checked modern LMIC is compatible with EU433? I don’t have any experience with your hardware combination and as it is non standard (being 433 MHz) I don’t want to invest my limited spare time in it. Again, use TTN standard frequencies please. There will be a lot more support available.

Thank you very much.

Actually, I’m in the research stage and I have a 433MHz LoRa that I can deploy P2P connection, but it seems I must change it and go from 433 to 868 if I want to use gateways. I would like to develop my prototype in standard manner.

Since the 868 MHz, fully compatible with TTN and in UK. definitely I will change the plan.

As I have seen, the map of gateways indicates there is no gateways exist in Colchester the nearest one is located in Ipswich, Chelmsford, and Sudbury.

I appreciate your time and consideration again Kersing.

@Jeff-UK might know if there is any LoRaWAN activity or there any communities active in/near Colchester…

yes those are the closest

build the community and add a few in colchester

@aryanbeta2003 Whilst no ‘local’ community for Colchester, the East Anglia region generally is quite well served with GW’s that are connected to or peer with TTN. Norfolk & Suffolk Council(s) deployments are substantial - IIRC some 50-80+ GW’s, with others further south in/near Chelmsford etc. There are a number of private deployments in the area but not sure how many peer with TTN. You have picked up on those around Ipswich and there are more down to S.East/East in Essex beyond Chelmsford but nothing close to you. I looked at initiating communities for both Rayleigh (poss extending to Basildon/Southend-On-Sea) and Colchester (possibly stretching back down to Maldon or Chelmsford) a few years back, making several visit and doing some mapping on TTN V2 but logistics and biz potential from here in Thames Valley made it a challenge despite having a few potential GW host sites available but then Covid was the final straw that made it impractical for a time. As suggested get yourself a cheap 868Mhz GW and start a community recruiting others to partcipate (DM me if you need help with that and if willing to share info on sites/use cases…, if you find good deployment sites/use cases for the community I may be able to release one of my spares/stock to help build out.)

I appreciate your advises and very comprehensive comment.

I’m thinking about deploying a proper one with corresponding with university of Essex. I will let you know in regard to this development.

It would be best to deploy to main gateways, one near the University and another one near the city center. I have to talk with my supervisors since I’m working with University.

This is a good opportune to do!

1 Like

If through a UNi adding a TTN Community GW a great start - again help available if needed. Note also a few years back (2019?) JANET tied in with TTI/TTN and started offering a TTS instance for university/college use, initially I thought it was peering with TTN but it maybe a closed instance so worth checking with UNi Net admin team as they may already have a GW that isnt visible on the Maps - many Uni’s do, though I encourage them to open up and peer with local community/TTN.