The hard RAK831 cafe part 1

I ordered the RAK with RPi couple of hours ago and stuff usually takes 2-3 weeks till it arrives, but I’d like to hit the ground running, thus…

I’m located in Oz = ISM 915MHz

I’ve seen 2-3 questions in regards to that frequency and the RAK.
Has anyone got it working on that frequency yet?

Thx for sharing!

no it doesn’t.

Contact the manufacturer? the feedback regards their support for hardware seems to be good so far

Edit: what are your concerns about 915mhz? you ordered the right model I take it :slight_smile: the new TTN packet forwarder picks up your config from the backend - cant see you should have any issues out of the box?

1 Like

It’s just that a couple of people who seem to have them did ask as they didn’t get it working, so I was just wondering if that had been solved already :wink:

1 Like

Just FYI - I now have my RAK831 connected to a NanoPi Neo running the go-version of TTN packet-forwarder. xenial and go version 1.9. RAK831 reset is connected to PG11 on the Neo. Power is provide by 12V PSU into LM2596 DC-DC converter See below a pic:

5 Likes

3 Likes

My Board is now finally available! https://www.tindie.com/products/kilobyte/rak831-raspberry-pi-breakoutbackplane/

2 Likes

I drop this here in case someone else needs it, as the dwg file was missing the connector location - so I made one that states them as they appear in that file:

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: The WORKBENCH

For comparison, RHF0M301 draws 1.66 watts when idle / RX. (At 5.34V, 0.31A) Very nice the RAK831 draws about 1.03 watts when idle / RX!

1 Like

Hi James… nice info.
That picture is from RAK … I will measure it myself also :wink:

tnx Jac. … it seems alive

3 Likes

looks good

whats your aerial setup? aerial type/cable type/cable length/inline adapters?

@ the moment a typical indoor GP living room set up :sunglasses:
Yes I think a GP will give a better result (indoor/outdoor) then the supplied antenna … but I use the GP only for testing, I have an outdoor antenna.

3 Likes

would you get the same distance from the RAK supplied aerial? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you know which lora gateway board support LBT?

I am using the 915Mhz version, with TTN P.F. I have managed to make it work, but only for a few hours, now looks like it is connected in TTN but it does not receive the packages, also notice that the LED RX no longer lights, I will try leaving it off for some time to see if it is a problem of temperature or voltage, which are the two topics I have read may be the cause. Additionally, could anyone confirm if (–reset-pin 25) actually works?

1 Like

It works for me! (mind you, this is pin 22 on the GPIO header!)

I noticed the temperature of the RAK pcb after 30 min, could it that the RPI is heating the RAK831 when you use a converter PCB ?

That is a fairly normal temperature for a concentrator board. The MultiTech mCards are at finger burning temperature when used with an PCIe-to-USB convertor. Other concentrators are also well above room termperature in my experience.
So (imho) nothing to worry about.

2 Likes