The LIBRARY basement part 12

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Helium Network Comparative Discussion

Interesting LPWAN growth projection per IHSMarkit (now called Omdia)

Looking good for LoRa/LoRaWAN :slight_smile:

Hi @Jeff-UK, thanks for posting the projected shipments. Do you know what the Y-axis represents? 50,000 of LoRa in 2019. What’s the ?? 50,000 might just be the number of gateway chipsets but seems far too low for sensor chipsets, etc. Or is it money and 50,000 is $50m??

Sorry, believe that is Ku radios hence ~50Mu/yr…focus would be on nodes vs gateways…

Latests (Q4) Semtech results out…predates major ramp/impact of Coronovirus but looks healthy, with LoRa/IoT a significant contributor :slight_smile:
Semtech Announces Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2020 Results

Semtech Corporation (Nasdaq: SMTC), a leading supplier of high performance analog and mixed-signal semiconductors and advanced algorithms, today reported unaudited financial results for its fourth quarter and fiscal year 2020, which ended January 26, 2020.

Highlights for the Fourth Quarter and Fiscal Year 2020

• Q4 FY2020 net sales of $138.0 million, GAAP EPS of $0.04 and non-GAAP EPS of $0.40
  • FY2020 net sales of $547.5 million, GAAP EPS of $0.47 and non-GAAP EPS of $1.52
  • Cash flow from operations was $45.3 million, or 33% of net sales, in Q4 FY2020 and was $118.6 million, or 22% of net sales, in FY2020
  • Refinanced the prior credit facility with a new $600.0 million revolving credit facility
  • Repurchased 0.5 million shares for $27.6 million in Q4 FY2020 and 1.5 million shares for $70.2 million in FY2020

Per Mohan (CEO)-
“We delivered fiscal Q4 results at the upper end of our guidance and ended with a solid finish to a challenging year. In fiscal year 2020, we continued to invest in our disruptive product platforms while delivering strong operating cash flow and are very well positioned in our target markets including hyper scale data centers and 5G infrastructure, Internet Of Things (IOT) and mobile systems.”

Another Asset Tracking use case variant:

Because of Corona in the Netherlands, all Universities have closed and moved to on-line classes. As a result of that my IOT students cannot benefit from the TTN coverage at our university. Therefore I have prepared 6 gateways to be issued to the project teams. Together with two TTN indoor gateways and a Microtik gateway (not on the picture) the students of my IoT class will be able to fill the gap in coverage at their house.

This way we do everything to finish the IOT class in 4 weeks!

4 Likes

Another large LoRaWAN Metering role out - this time in Germany:

also
https://www.iot-now.com/2020/03/26/101964-germany-deploys-largest-lorawan-network-energy-water-utility/

Hate to see any company fail esp. in current economic circumstances but looks like 74 more lumps of space junk in play now… …though some may see a silver lining in that there could have been >600 lumps if they had progressed :thinking:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/uk-satellite-startup-one-web-blames-coronavirus-as-it-files-for-bankruptcy-145527915.html

UK space startup OneWeb blames coronavirus as it files for bankruptcy protection in the US

OneWeb, the high-profile London-based satellite start-up, files for bankruptcy protection in the US. (OneWeb)

OneWeb, the high-profile London-based satellite start-up, files for bankruptcy protection in the US. (OneWeb)

A new record distance for LoRaWAN Tx/Rx? Nearly 775km with altitude >38km! :smile: Well done Thomas (& family!) for successfull balloon launch and tracking with TTN Mapper during todays TTVC session

Anyone wanting to see the full journey on You Tube go here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKnCZ0JmQBs

1 Like

LoRaWAN Best practices per Alexander O from todays TTVC session :slight_smile:

http://tti.fyi/bestpractices (note opens as a drive.google.com link to .pdf file)

2 Likes

https://www.ttgw.de/sites/tinylora/
afbeelding

3 Likes

LoRa/LoRaWAN in Building/Estates management & Energy monitoring (again)

Useful if you are into ST’s MCU’s :wink:

1 Like

The article lacks a link to the GitHub location.
This is probly it:

Beta release of RPi USB Bootloader - finaly move away from uSD issues?

Will update post once I fiind the link! :wink:

Pity not on lower power RPi2/3/3B+/0W as better for lower powered GW builds c/w RPi4! :frowning:

Updated with link info & mini how to:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=274595

As also posted in Workbench thread new 8GB RPi4 out nw!

It was already possible with Raspberry Pi 3 to boot and run from USB storage without using a microSD card (but the microSD was required for the very first boot to burn the fuse to make the Pi USB bootable).

So they have taken much time to make this available for the Pi 4.

I have used a Pi 3 with boot and root partitions on SSD connected via USB to SATA adapter without needing any microSD inserted (the system was later replaced with a more powerful Intel NUC.)

2 Likes

Possible read for anyone thinking of doing AI/ML processing on node/edge device (a la EdgeImpulse?)

Especially on Arduino or using TinyML

Just ordered a copy for my son to work on a summer project for me… will report back with his impressions at a later date :wink:

1 Like

Is Sigfox/WND struggling in UK (and elsewhere give reported pause on global fund raising)?

If they are having to nickel and dime their site hosts that isnt a good look! :wink:

Surely if they had end users generating revenue before lock down then traffic continued during, and will continue after…raises big questions wrt viability (IMHO). Dont see Vodafone, EE, 02 etc pausing payments wrt cellular infrastructure…and of course us TTN Community/Forumites do it for love anyhow, right! :rofl:

@nestorayuso @disk91 you guys often seem to have a good ‘in’ on Sigfox related news…can you find out anything more?

Note to moderators - happy for you to delete post if you judge needed but as users of LPWAN tech I believe it is good for us all to know status of competing (or in some cases complimnetary?) technologies and services…

Foot note: ~2 years ago it was claimed WND already had ~3k GW/BSN’s stored in N.West warehouse, looking for sites & ready for roll out…so only <2k ever deployed after 2 years? :thinking:

1 Like