Things Outdoor Gateway - TTOG part 1

Did you start here ? SETUP

I did indeed, but Iā€™ve got no idea how to get to the ODU GUI as the IP address gives me a blank pageā€¦ how do I find the one assigned by the gateway? (sorry if its obvious! Not to me !)

1 Like

Fear not! Plenty of support here from everyone to get you up and running.

Ours grabbed a DHCP address straight out of the box - I had to check on the server and see what it had been given to access the GUI.

Hostname by default on our is OutdoorAP

You may need to update the firmware too.

Thankyou! We have a big network here with lots of devices so one of the IT guys set a static IP address for the gateway for me and we are off!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome stuff. What Firmware version is yours running? Make sure its running 3.09.99 (links above to this). Otherwise TTN wonā€™t be able to do much with it.

We added the value 2 to the Gain setting also. Not 100% sure its needed. But I saw errors in the log with SF12 transmissions until this was set.

What antenna are you using out of curiosity?

Weā€™re currently looking for a new outdoor gateway, and weā€™ve had our eyes on this

The Things Outdoor Gateway

https://connectedthings.store/gb/lorawan-gateways/the-things-outdoor-gateway-868-mhz.html

Weā€™re in doubt whether this is compatible with other network backends such as LoRa server. Or will this gateway only work for The Things Network? Perhaps the firmware is configurable?

Hi, the TTOG is configurable to use another network server, itā€™s just a packet forwarder. The TTIG is TTN only at the moment.

1 Like

Thanks, for the response. So the TTOG is compatible with LoRa server, and we can easily install a packet forwarder to LoRa server?

Thatā€™s a rather ironic comment, the question is explicitly about TTOG and posted in the TTOG thread

1 Like

Yes, the TTOG has a standard packet forwarder, so you can configure it to point at any LoRaWAN server!

Just the standard TTOG antenna that was an optional add on. Iā€™ll double check the firmware nowā€¦ since successfully setting the TTOG up in my office as a test its now decided its ā€œnot connectedā€ over ethernet (even though I havenā€™t done anything to it since) so Iā€™ll have to investigate why that isā€¦

We had to be really careful with the supplied connector once the CAT6 cable was made up. It had a tendency to pull the RJ45 out of the port slightly when tightening the main fastening ring.

Hmm Iā€™m not sure its a physical issue - Iā€™ve changed the router region (which worked for a day) and then today Iā€™ve rebooted (worked for 6 hrs only) which makes me think that maybe it wasnā€™t the rerouting that made it work again the first time - just the rebooting was enoughā€¦ the log is showing that its alive and well the whole time but the console seems to lose the connection after a while ! Investigations continue

I have the same problem, and am now unable to access the TTOG (EU) via any method (ethernet/3-4G) or any IP.

Any ideas how I can recover the gateway?
Before this happened, I was able to succesfully forward packages via ethernet connection.

Once itā€™s been switched into SIM mode, youā€™ll need to use the static fallback IP to access TTOG over Ethernet. This is in the blue blockquote box towards the end of this page: https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/gateways/thethingsoutdoor/

When I go to that IP address I get a response saying that the website is not available.

Also, how does one do the following (as instructed on the website)?

you should manually set the IP address: IP address: 192.168.11.100 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Router: 192.168.11.10

Is there a way to reset the gateway (with a button on the inside or something)? Because at the moment it is completely unusable and unreachable.

I solved this. I didnā€™t realise that manually setting the IP address means changing your own PC configurations. This is a link that explains how:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

Got the gateway to work properly now :partying_face:

2 Likes

somehow I can not do a firmware update. Currently is still 3.02.19 on the shipped gateway (EU 868) last 6 characters of the Mac are 3D2766 thus would be for SSH
root
browan @ 3D2766.
But do not continue to make an update to the firmware

Got it done, got it done. Code is the filing, then an update to 3.04.25. There, under System, there is the button System Firmware and there upgrade

Hi,

Does anyone know if the source code to the packet forwarder running on the TTOG is available? We have a TTOG and wish to run a non-standard packet forwarder. It is clear that the installed version has had a number of modifications from the standard code base and it would be useful to know what those are so we can get ours up and running.

We have been able to cross compile and run our packet forwarder on the TTOG but we are having some issues with SPI communications with the LoRa hardware. This code runs fine on both RAK and Multitech Conduit gateways, so clearly something is different.

Thanks

Jonathan

2 Likes