[TinyLoRa & Raspberry node] How can I display the RSSI

Hello all

I just setup for the first time a Raspberry Zero with RFM9x radio module with LCD.
I installed TinyLoRa from Adafruit
https://learn.adafruit.com/lora-and-lorawan-radio-for-raspberry-pi/usage

It’s work!

My goal is very simple, each time a send a message to the Gateway, I would like to know the RSSI. In that way, when I start moving away from my gateway, I could the RSSI until I go out of the Gateway rang. And then I can know wehre my nodes can be placed.

I have a few expertise with Python3 but I get, the question is how to get this value from the TTN consol

{
“time”: “2019-05-31T06:50:17.097425632Z”,
“frequency”: 868.1,
“modulation”: “LORA”,
“data_rate”: “SF7BW125”,
“coding_rate”: “4/5”,
“gateways”: [
{
“gtw_id”: “eui-b827ebfffe460000”,
“timestamp”: 2143411251,
“time”: “2019-05-31T06:50:17.059694Z”,
“channel”: 0,
“rssi”: -57,
“snr”: 10,
“rf_chain”: 1,
“latitude”: 46.01448,
“longitude”: 6.20621,
“altitude”: 400
}
]
}

and how to have this

"gtw_id": "eui-b827ebfffe460000",
  "channel": 0,
  "rssi": -57,
  "snr": 10,
  "rf_chain": 1,
  "latitude": 46.01448,
  "longitude": 6.20621,

display on my LCD, or at least the RSSI?

Some of you have a solution with Python3?
That would be great!

Thank a lot

How are you intending to get the Gateway received RSSI back to the node you are carrying ?

Hello, Thank for your reply.

How are you intending to get the Gateway received RSSI back to the node you are carrying

but this is my worry :grinning:
Does a node can measure the RSSI without requiring the gateway value?

Or, how can I read a response from my Gateway with Python and TinyLoRa, because when a node send a message, we can get a aknoledge or a reponse with the RSSI from the gateway, that’s right?
That’s would be great

The node as a transmitter has no way of ‘knowing’ if its transmission is received at all.

Having the gateway send the RSSI back as an acknowledge is possible I guess, but there is very limited number of messages allowed.

A site survey is trivial to do if you have a couple of spare Arduinos and LoRa devices.

A site survey is trivial to do if you have a couple of spare Arduinos and LoRa devices.
I could do it with Arduino a C++ but in that can I am using a Raspberry with Python and that is the challenge :grinning: to request, at least, the rssi value

If the aim is only to do a site survey to select node location, you can check RSSI on the console with a smartphone while moving, or develop a dashboard that show this on a map. If you really want to show it on the LCD, you may have the RPi connected to the internet through the smartphone and show such data taken via an HTTP integration.
Sending back such data through LoraWAN is possible, but no more than 10 times a day.

1 Like

Thank UdLoRa for that clarification.
I am planning to do as you suggest

1 Like

For a site survey you could also use TTNMapper. That will not display the information on the display but store it in the cloud where you (and others) can access it later on. Stays available as well so no need to write it down…
Requirement: node with GPS to have it send GPS coordinates directly or node that just transmits and an android phone with the TTNmapper App. Check the TTNmapper FAQ for more information.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.