TOOLS for TINKERERS

Because the uCurrent Gold is often out of stock and we needed some additional features, we have introduced the tinyCurrent as an alternative.

3 Likes

RFPowermeter_Unpacked

Recently I received this Expert RF Powermeter from Russia.
The device was sealed in shrink foil and send in a plastic container together with 2 attenuators and a pigtail cable.

You can use this tool to check if nodes are transmitting and to obtain an indication of the transmission power of these nodes.

The RF Powermeter has different, fixed measuring frequencies and it is possible to view the transmission signal in what’s called the “Fill Mode”. In addition, other measurement settings are also possible (see specs in link below)

RFPowerMeter_Mote_mp4

Power output RN2483 (Microchip mote)
You can switch the readout in mW or dBm. Unfortunately, the value in the display is only visible for a short period of time during the transmission, so during the measurement you should pay attention and watch the screen.

RFPowermeter_HTec

Power output ESP32 Heltec node
10dBm?? I have measured several Paxcounters … some came to 8 mW.

Fill_Mode_DR5_SF7

Fill Mode measurement DR5 SF7

Fill_Mode_DR0_SF12
Fill Mode measurement DR0 SF12

My 3D printed enclosure

RF Powermeter

3 Likes

There is a new alternative called tinyCurrent with some nice enhancements like BNC connector and possibility to increase the dynamic range by up to factor three.

yes… we know :wink:

According to the listed specifications the dynamic range can be increased up to factor two (2.04).

Let me detail this:

With just a CR2032 battery you can double the range by tweaking the voltage divider’s ratio – 1.5V vs. 3.0V.
When you hook up an external power source with 5.5V (possible through the JST connector) then you can actually achieve factor 3.66 – 1.5V vs. 2.75V.

Bonus: you can overdrive the thing for up to 6.5V or even more (voiding warranty) :wink:

Voiding warranty is a bonus? :thinking: :wink:

1 Like

How to drastically improve battery life of an EEVBlog uCurrent Gold

See:

2 Likes

rak-profiler

This might be a noob question, but any idea how they did the power profiling on the picture ?

probably this tool

Oh I found the tool, watched the tutorial, however from what I understand it is for Nordic products only and you need a profiler kit board, etc. RAK5205 is basically RAK811 (STM32L). So that is the part I do not understand. How are they using the software with a hardware that seems to bot be supported. Again probably a noob question.

profiler

profiler2

@azazeal is using this tool - Anyone tried Laird RM1XX modules ? part 2

1 Like

So, is this a auto-ranging “µCurrent Gold” with some fancy desktop application with graphing and logging? If so, that sounds interesting for ~73€ :thinking:

No it isn’t. Read the specs carefully before buying. Specifically the voltage and power ranges. Then look at what is required to use it. (Next look for another solution :wink:)

2 Likes

Hand tools for U.FL / I-PEX Micro RF coax connector extraction and insertion

See ‘Hand tool’ on page 5:

1 Like

Old thread but the Hantek oscilloscopes I saw here are relatively inexpensive and offer pretty good performance.

SX127x Probe

Software to monitor the communictaion with a Semtech SX127x chip to verify the firmware such a LMIC achieves correct LoRa timings. The software is run on a STM32F1x board (e.g. Blue Pill or Black Pill) and connected to several pins of the LoRa board. It monitors the SPI communication and the interrupt pins, measures the timing and analyzes whether they conform to the LoRa standard.

2 Likes

GroupGets BattLab-One - Captures both active event and sleep current from 10uA to 500mA
(Campaign scheduled end date: Mon, 05 Jul 2021 07:35:32 PDT)

BattLab-One

BattLab-One-2

4 Likes