TTIG and The Things Stack

Change is hard and people resist change. It requires you, like everyone else, to invest time to get to know the new stuff. I expect you are used to that as a trainer as what you teach will change constantly as well.

The documentation you search is available from the links at the bottom of every page in the console, no digging in the forum required.

1 Like

Sure, I have people that I provide the links for those who don’t have time to read. I call them A list clients. They get invoices, fairly substantive ones. As there is a limit to how many I can do this for, there are very few of these people and it is only done for a finite amount of time. So in parallel their staff are trained, for whom I also provide links / cheat sheets and various other resources and, of course, invoices. If after a reasonably timescale I’m not relegated to third tier support, then the invoices get painful until I am, because I am a very strong believer in CPD seeings as how so many people have demonstrated that they would rather piggy back off other peoples hard work.

So my default position on the forum is to “teach a man to fish” rather than just spoon feed. If only so they at least try to find answers before falling back on tapping in to the collective knowledge base.

That said, I’m happy to create resources (like the integrations templates, device creation API scripting, the CLI command tree, the EUI generator) to fill in some of the gaps and put them out for public consumption, so it’s not all about the invoicing.

One of my many other foibles also runs to supporting the awesome gift that TTI provide us with. Arguements range back & forth about how the TTN community has benefited & how TTI has benefited, but at the end of the day, we are given access to software & hardware for free. It seems a bit churlish to complain that we also don’t have a personal concierge service to answer questions on demand because we are too busy using the free resources provided to take time out to learn the new version.

Between your TTIG claiming thread and now this thread, it’s clear you can save yourself a bunch of time by scanning through the documentation - read all the opening paragraphs on every page so you will have a rough idea of where to look going forward.

2 Likes

I am a solution designer, an international consultant/developer/trainer/international-man-of-mystery and I’ve been using TTS live on both CE and my own hosted instance for many months and apart from downlink confirmation events which only arrived last week, haven’t found anything missing.

This is the sort of problem I like to solve - I’ll be kind and assume you mean ID and not name, but you can delete & re-create a device with the same ID but with a different set of settings. I can script the change easily enough with the CLI. Not as simple as v2, but TTI would rather we all use OTAA.

I’m not sure I understand what’s missing here - you can enter a URL and set all sorts of path options - perhaps this workshop video from the TTS mini-conference will help.

The only one you can have more than one of is Webhooks. MQTT you can’t turn on & off but it would be useful to know what API keys have been setup that allow access to the feed. Storage Integration you can only turn on or off, no other settings, but same with the API keys. AWS IoT & LoRa Cloud you can setup, again, same with keys.

Whilst I haven’t got that far in porting my management database application to cover v3 integrations, that sort of overview I’d create using the API. But mostly the configuration documentation that the SysOps have & the access controls to prevent anyone dipping in to integrations without prior planning, change request etc, means that having an overview list like we had in v2 rather academic. I think once a project is live that it is very rare of anyone to go in to that section, so I’ll not be stampeding to do anything in that area.

I’m still trying to figure out if a sort of password manager for the API keys is a good idea. It seems appropriate to me that TTS doesn’t show the key after you’ve got it setup, but I’ve got a whole list of sundry keys now and as suggested above, it’s hard to know which ones allow what without looking at each in turn. So maybe not a password manager (although it is useful to have somewhere to record them other than embedded in a settings file somwhere), but more an audit list to show what keys can do.

1 Like