TTIG non-response to first post

If I would know the answer I would have tried to find time to help. However it seems I am lucky (or some users unlucky) because all of my TTIGs work without issue. Haven’t had any questions from the few customers I sold units to either so I regard them as stable and easy to use.

@vicatcu, your time to shine - the OP has returned two days after a posted an answer and needs help with a link to deleting gateways and claiming TTIGs on the console.

Usually I just say that the documentation is linked at the bottom of every single console page, bottom right, but I’ve already given him an answer, so you can have go now :wink:

1 Like

Happy to do that, but slightly concerned about giving bad advice, given your note about being careful. Picking up the breadcrumbs about documentation I got to here: ttn-lw-cli gateways delete | The Things Stack for LoRaWAN

What’s not clear to me (trying to put 2 and 2 together here) is after you run that command if it becomes impossible to add that same gateway EUI to the console again (apropos your comment in the OP).

What’s wrong with just using the CLI.

Oh dear.

I never said that.

I’ve never said that.

I’ve spent months telling people that that’s not what I said.

We’ve spent since July 2021 endlessly telling people that that’s not what it says and that if they read what we put they will be able to make progress. But for some reason at least two or three people have to tell them before they read the advice given.

So now you know how much fun (or is it frustration) we have, which causes us to hope to god that someone else will answer a query, which is why they get left, please go back and read what I actually put …

Have you deleted from the console and re-claimed (bearing in mind you can’t recycle the gateway id)? I wouldn’t try this unless I was really desperate or me (because I have other gateways and danger is my middle name).

It’s not obvious to me why you qualify “bearing in mind that you can’t recycle the gateway id” … what is it you are warning against here. It also adds an air of danger when someone as experienced as you suggests that this shouldn’t be done unless one is desperate… why not, what’s the possible harm?

I think I get it after doing some more research on other posts and reading your words much more carefully. All you are saying is that the ‘arbitrary’ string Gateway ID can’t be re-used, but that doesn’t preclude deleting a Gateway with EUI so-and-so, and then doing the “Claim Gateway” process again to re-add it under a new ‘arbitrary’ Gateway ID. Do I understand that correctly?

1 Like

OK, I took a crack at replying. Hopefully it’s helpful.

Yes, but TBH, it’s very very clear in the docs:

https://www.thethingsindustries.com/docs/reference/id-eui-constraints/

It’s a evening’s effort to scan through the docs and then your internal Google (the reticular activation system) will steer you quickly to the right info.

But we live in the FaceBook age of the amygdala in the driving seat and endorphin responses.

Hang out here and you’ll see questions from people that purchase first and ask questions later (actually one today). Or end up with something useable but try very hard to not learn the basics so struggle with simple issues for hours.

So if you’ve any ideas on what we can do to encourage people to make https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/lorawan/ their first stop and then read the docs, we’d be all ears!

2 Likes