TTIG non-response to first post

I’d like to hear a response to this topic too. What is the prescribed course of action for users to take if their TTIG stops working and they need to diagnose what’s going on and get something fixed on The Things Stack back end? It’s surprising and disappointing to see this thread has gotten no responses in a week since it was posted.

Why? All over this forum the volunteers, contributors & moderators alike, say that this is the community forum and that if you have a support issue, post in #support on Slack.

If you need more direct support, check out Support

1 Like

No is not and it depends on your expectations! :slight_smile:

This site is by us for us - the TTN users and Community & Forumites. It is not a paid for support service, with any level of SLA rather all contributors and modorators do so willingly and voluntarily, often giving many hours of what might be considered hard earned lessons and experience or even free ‘paid’ consultancy equivalent. Some of the TTI Core team do hang around occasionaly and usually around specific threads that pique their interest but not all do so frequently and there is no guarantee of an answer. If the contributors dont have an answer or a therory about what might be the issue they wont respond! If the contributors and voluteers are busy - perhaps with their day jobs - you know trying to put a roof over their family or maybe some food on the table - they wont respond. If users post with a sense of entitlement or expectation of response, they may simply ignore! Just saying.

If you want product support and you get no joy through the Forum usually 1st stop is the vendor (i.e. the channel/disty you bought through - if that wasnt the manufacturer directly), second you might try the Thing Slack channel# which in theory may be more regularly patrolled by the TTI Core team…

Excepting that they are people too, so asking only for “constructive” responses may well be counterproductive to soliciting help …

I am very very guilty of the occasional BS response, but the TTI team fix stuff without any of my style.

Just saying.

Maybe just a failure if all was good before and no changes - if still <1 year perhaps contact sales channel under warranty? Are you sure you havent changes anything around your WiFi set up and e.g. ISP hasnt changed Port blocking policies etc. What have you done to test/check, e.g. have you tried with another WiFi network - perhaps tether to your mobile phone etc.

To be fair, the last update to TTS appears to have had some impact to some gateways that hasn’t had the details pinned down. Just about to post something constructive …

OK, based on seeing every TTIG question in the last three years and spending 6 hours on the final push to get the claim system working in time for the change over end of June '21 and deploying a few since and setting up one for AU915 …

Have you done a hard reset for a do-over on the local WiFi? In theory, once it’s connected, the server should set up everything.

Given that the EUI is publicly available in the logs, the TTI crew will need it - save them asking for it, it just slows things down, just post it. No one can do anything with it unless you post the WiFi code - DO NOT post the WiFi code, it is not needed.

Have you deleted from the console and re-claimed (bearing in mind you can’t recycle the gateway id)? I wouldn’t try this unless I was really desperate or me (because I have other gateways and danger is my middle name).

@vicatcu guess same debug questions go for you too! Oh & by the way time/date stamps top right to each individual post suggest just 4d not a week! I know time flies when you need a solution to a problem :wink:

@descartes @Jeff-UK I get all of that, and I honestly celebrate you guys and all you do for this community by your active participation on this forum.

[begin soap box] But I have to say, @tmullin22 is obviously a brand new to the forum, and if I were them, when I need help with something and post a question, and nobody responds, it would probably affect my confidence in the technology. If we want this technology to become ubiquitous, it has to be more well supported.

Everyone who posts here on this forum is not an engineer or computer scientist. Some people are just users of technology that they don’t understand beyond the level of the OP. It says a lot when a question like this gets no responses for a week, and then a flurry of responses (that mostly are noise, not addressing the OP’s issue) when senior members of the community like yourselves come out of the woodwork to defend yourselves instead of just helping out. That’s counterproductive, and to the extent that I contributed / inspired / am continuing to do so in this post, that kind of content on this forum, I apologize and regret it. [/end soap box]

@descartes thanks for posting your experience. Any chance you could post a link to some instructions about what you mean when you describe

…a hard reset for a do-over on the local WiFi…

That sounds like it would certainly be worth a try.

I don’t have one two min search on here.

@vicatcu Please post when you found the solution as well, as most people don’t, so it makes it difficult to assist the next person

Right, point taken, will do.

Please see comment above - 4 days! Of which for both Nick and myself 2 are weekend!

For the record:

If none tech then usually buyers of an ‘appliance’ would not jump on a forum, or perhaps if willing to ‘try’ something to diagnose and fix… but rather if my kettle broke down in <12 months I would contact seller and ask for replacement - oh yeh just did that (thanks Amazon - kettle lasted 4 months then died dho!) …didnt bother with a forum. Also hummmm yes did that with one of the 1st 5 TTIGs I ever got - 4 were fine one just blinked away (IIRC) no joy…turned out our friends at RS Components had mis-shipped a US915 vs EU 868…ok I looked at forum 1st and when no joy (there were <500 in the field at that time, most of which had been given away free at the TTC AMS 2018, so little experienceto be shared by forum contributors) I risked warranty out of curiocity and took apart - discovered there was a 0ohm? SMT resistor on board connected to nothing near one edge that indicated build standard - EU868 vs US915! They replaced as soon as they had new stock… guess there is some experience here…

…and NO I dont feel a need to ‘defend mysel’ as wasnt aware that no response was a crime! :slight_smile: :man_shrugging:

Maybe I could recommend you purchase this book: How to Win Friends and Influence People - Wikipedia

And, technically, we are responding to you, not the OP.

And we are not senior members, just moderators that spend way too much time trying to help people get the most out of LoRaWAN for their communities.

Is it OK to use something (for free) without understanding what you are getting in to? Where does it say that anyone is obliged to help out?

My consciousness is so clear, it looks like Glacial run off. We are not defending ourselves, we are protecting the community from the mis-understanding that this is a support channel that engages directly with TTI with some expectation of response in the context of getting a very complex server service for free.

It’s @descartes BTW - to be clear and passive aggressive, you want me to link to the instructions for the TTIG that a forum or Google search would bring up? But thank you @Johan_Scheepers for providing that for us all.

1 Like

Again, I’m not looking for a fight. The OP obviously had a gateway that was working, and then stopped working. Given that recently things went from V2 to V3 it’s not unreasonable to imagine this has nothing to do with the OP’s hardware. I just think we could stand to be a bit more welcoming here, and give people the benefit of the doubt. I know I have felt that way at times, and I’m just empathizing. That’s all.

Erm, that was all done 1st December, so actually unreasonable. Or at least unrealistic.

We never criticised the OP - just pushed back on your view.

Why don’t you turn up more often and welcome people?

Using my soapbox: The community is you as well, so feel free to help out. Don’t expect the few regulars to answer all questions as we don’t know all and simply don’t have time to help everyone.

I hear you, please consider me properly dunked on, I was just trying to help get that OP attention because I thought it was a well-formed straightforward question that I didn’t know how to advise or answer myself. I suppose I succeeded in getting it attention, but trust me, I wasn’t intending to offend anyone. In retrospect, I should have kept inflammatory language about disappointment out of it.

Glad to hear it - and neither was OP :wink:

Actually that was 3 months ago tomorrow/Tuesday - and any TTIGs not migrated by users at time of V2 sunset were auto-migrated by TTI Core team shortly after, and given there are thousands in the field I think we can assume no relation to that transition, though as Nick highlighted there seems to have been a few wrinkles that we are still trying to evidence and understand after latest V3.13.8 or whatever version (Actually V3.18.0) was rolled out last Monday morning…maybe a link there, but tenuous/circumstancial as yet and wouldn’t elicit an immediate response in this context until confirmed or more condeming evidence found, (note add OP’s ‘a few days ago’ to the 4days since post and we get back to Monday perhaps?)

Rather if you search forum and slack over recent days (certainly this last month, there has been instance of suspect hardware fail and where TTI Core have offered for the channel to replace in return for dead unit being sent in for investigation (they take these things seriously!).

No issues with OP… your

Was the issue…I know we live in times where people have expectation of instant gratification but as they say the impossible we can do quite quickly but miracles take a little time (or something similar! :wink: ) :rofl: