TTN GATEWAY central

then lorawan is probably not the platform for you … :sunglasses:

1 Like

It is. As User. But it seems not as gateway contributor. I will observe this for some time.
Maybe i should mention that i earn my money and grey hairs in routing/switching and network security on good old IP Networks. Maybe i see some things under another light.

Hi @mongoose my gateway did about the same reboot loop but the uart logging was a bit different, the reboot started directly after the Starting Reconfiguration. As i wrote somewhere in this thread, in my case I used a bit of force to push the loraboard a bit further into the connector and a bit more straight, but until now i have heard not from anyone else for whom this was a solution. If you try this make sure you earthen yourself and do not touch the parts on the pcbs or the circuit. As far as i know someone from the coreteam will contact you, but all the festive days this week could cause a bit of delay.

2 Likes

The gateway activation process is really fantastic! I activated mine yesterday and it took almost no time (the longest waiting time was Windows 10 being stupid and forcing me to restart the computer because of a network driver weirdness that kicks in from time to time).

4 Likes

So I just got my gateway and tried to register and activate it. The registration went fine, but the activation failed and in trying to follow the instructions regarding resetting the gateway, I accidentally did a “full serial flash” (see TTN Gateway - FAQ). Hint: don’t hold the mode button for more than five seconds when powering on.

Now I’m wondering how I can recover from this? A power reset will give me no signs of life except for a solid blue internal LED (looks likes its labeled D2). If I hold down the mode button while powering on I get 10-15 seconds of external LEDs flashing quickly before it’s back to same state – solid blue LED, no other signs of life. No wifi SSID announced or ethernet lights flashing.

Is there a way to recover from an accidental “full serial flash” and if so what is it? Thanks for any pointers!

Update 1:

When I check the console the gateway is actually registered and activated. I think my confusion and subsequent mistake was caused by the “handoff” in the activation process. When instructed to connect to the gateway access point I got a wifi connection from my computer, but it did not give me a working DNS server so that when I clicked on the mentioned button the browser would just time out, which makes sense. I tried adding Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) to the gateway’s IP in the network profile, but it didn’t make a difference and I couldn’t ping 8.8.8.8 or use nslookup – so it seems the gateway didn’t route anything as an access point. The ethernet cable was plugged in all the time and I guess it must have sent data over the ethernet port to register/activate itself. I’m not sure, but I believe this is what tripped me up.

Anyway, I believe (well, hope at least) that I can use either the SD card or micro USB port to transfer a new firmware to the gateway, but I’m having a hard time finding the firmware image and instructions on how to do this. I’m guessing that a full serial flash basically means I wiped the entire firmware…

Again, any pointers on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

Update 2:

Is this thread being monitored by anyone from the core team (ref. https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/forum/badges/100/core-team - @jpmeijers, @dodo, @jankramer, @gomezjdaniel, @telkamp, @wienkegiezeman, @johan, @laurens, @romeovs, @htdvisser + 3 more; romeo, egourlao, rish)? Since the hardware just started shipping out I was kind of expecting that product support would be paying close attention to issues and jumping on them as they surfaced. Given the reported problems with the activation and the severe consequence of pressing the mode button too long perhaps a documentation update would be appropriate? Anyway, if someone could chime in with help on how I can recover that’d be great! Thanks again!

2 Likes

I have a problem in understanding the Gateway FAQ:

Q. My gateway stays in AP mode, what do I do?
A. This behaviour occurs when there is a hick up in the wifi connection of the gateway. When this happens, your gateway will turn into an AP and devices you used to set up the gateway can connect to it (your laptop or phone). To avoid this issue, you should ‘forget’ the wifi AP of the gateway on your phone/laptop.

Forgetting SSID and credentials on client side helps to disable AP-mode? Three monkey solution!!
My Gateway is working as expected over ethernet but is also still in unprotected AP-mode with default pwd… Discovered this by accident and this makes me feel very uncomfortable. Cannot find any knob to disable AP-Mode or WiFi at all.

3 Likes

@kaared I have done the full serial flash many times, it does not kill the firmware as far as i know. After the full serial flash the gateway should function as if it came fresh from the box. So it should just start in the ap-mode. To find out what’s wrong reading the uart output (see the faq) is very informative. If you need help doing that,let me know.

1 Like

Is it possible to http or ssh into the gateway for diagnostics? What if I want to reboot it etc?

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for the response @sronan & @Leondegeling - I’ve made sure the board is properly seated. I’m fairly certain it was from the beginning. However, I’m still getting the same loop. Is there another issue that might be causing this symptom?

CNFG: Configuring LoRa module
LORA: Changing state from 2 to 4
LORA: Starting reconfiguration
LORA: version: 02
LORA: Configuration failed, retry
MON: SYS Stack size: 2873
MON: heap usage: 153KB (237KB), free: 186KB
LORA: RESET MODULE
LORA: Changing staSNTP: State change from 0 to 0
SNTP: State change from 0 to 0

Thanks again

Hello, ik just receved my “the things gateway” today.
But i have trouble connecting it to the lan interface.

WLan, no problem
But LAN: no connection:

• the LED’s on the LAN connector go on for about 1 second and they go off again. after a while they go on again for 1 second, en then they go off.

Is there something i can do ? or is it broken ?

thx in advance

Hi,

yesterday i received my Gateway (Kickstarter). The Wifi activation was no problem, but i have a reboot loop because the LoRa Module is not responding, like already posted by some other guys here.
I connected the UART to a Raspberry 3 and used minicom to get the debug output:

CNFG: Configuring LoRa module
LORA: Changing state from 2 to 4
LORA: version: 01
MON: SYS Stack size: 2873
MON: heap usage: 151KB (233KB), free: 188KB
LORA: RESET MODULE
LORA: ChaSNTP: State change from 0 to 0

Any advice would be appreciated.

Greetings from Germany
Michael

1 Like

Sorry I can’t offer additional thoughts. I am hoping that someone from the core team starts communicating with you directly about the problem soon, if that hasn’t already happened, and that you’ll let us know how the problem is resolved. Thanks.

1 Like

Hello Everybody,

I got a TTN Gateway Kickster version from Newark. I was trying to activate following the procedure posted before on this thread but I was unable to see the wifi “Things-Gateway-XXXX”. I reset the wi-fi holding the mode button for 2, then 3 secs, but nothing :frowning: Then I decided to hold the button while powering but I can see the wifi either. I also tried to assign an IP address by connecting the ethernet port to a home router without success. For the record, the first led is light up and the second one is blinking fast. Any clues? CC: @wienkegiezeman

Cheers,
Gabriel

@Leondegeling Thanks for your reply!

I’ve tried pressing the mode button in several other ways to try to get the gateway to behave differently, but all it does is power on and flash rapidly before it sits idle. No ethernet and no wifi. At this point it’s essentially dead.

It looks like I have to get a readout of the UART to see what’s going on. I don’t have the cable or board (ref. TTN Gateway - FAQ). Any idea what I need to get and where I can get it? I’m located in Norway so any online store in Europe or the US is fine. I’ll be using a MacBook to read out the data.

From reading other reports here it looks like I’m not alone. I’m surprised (and disappointed) that the TTN team is not offering any help with this.

I got mine at https://www.antratek.nl/ftdi-basic-breakout-3-3v they are not the cheapest, but they ship very fast and are reliable. You also need a usb cable.

When i had troubles i was contacted by rish in a couple of days, i guess th coreteam is very very busy these days.

Great, thanks for the link – much appreciated! I’m going to try a local source first; just ordered these two and some jumper cables:

https://www.digitalimpuls.no/diverse/139447/ftdi-friend-plus-extras--v10-a-tweaked-out-ftdi-ft232rl-chip-adapter

https://www.digitalimpuls.no/diverse/139725/usb-to-ttl-serial-cable-debug--console-cable-for-raspberry-pi

Hopefully they’ll show up quickly and I’ll be able to get a sensible readout. Thanks again for your help!

Q1
Does the following configuration

Apply to the US TTN-GW-915 for Australian AU915

Q2
Does the following configuration

Apply to the US TTN-GW-915 for Australian AS923

Regs
Joe

Did anyone receive any update if and how to fix the reboot-loop issue? I returned mine to Farnell and I am wondering if it might be safe to order a new one or build one myself.

We have forwarded this issue to our tech team. We haven’t received anything concrete so far. We will let you know once we have an update.

4 Likes

I have a problem with my ttn gateway. Yesterday it was working fine, but this morning it tries to update the firmware, but when it is done downloading the new one it says it does not match expected size, and then reboots and tries updating again.

I’m getting the ollowing from the UART:

• The Things Network *
  •  G A T E W A Y     *

Firmware name: AmazingAckermann, type: 0, version: 1.0.0, commit: 917719b9, timestamp: 1498499973
Bootloader revision: 1, commit: 7167873a, timestamp: 1496411298
Build time: Jun 26 2017 19:59:53
Reboot reason: 0x43
BOOT: (persisted info) 6F 72 72 65 01 03 25 96 F4 15 61 98 1B D7 87 F6

WIFI: Entering state 0
WIFI: Entering SCAN state 0

MAIN: Initialisation complete
LORA: Changing state from 0 to 0

MAIN: Leaving state 0
MAIN: Entering state 1
FLASH: Magic bytes found: wifi config present
FLASH: Magic bytes found: activation data present
FLASH: Magic bytes not found: no stored FOTA data present
FLASH: Loading Firmware Data
CNFG: (Firmware HASH (sha256)) FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
FLASH: Loading WiFi Data

After connecting to network and getting an IP address:

FIRM: Starting download
FIRM: available bytes: 79
FIRM: (Downloaded FOTA key) 69 AE B7 78 1F 49 4E 7F BC B6 C7 CD 9C 59 4F 5D FA AA 3D 81 D4 9C 56 90 A6 83 81 98 FF 18 88 6A
FIRM: (Stored FOTA key) FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
FLASH: Erasing FOTA Data and Image
FLASH: Storing FOTA Checksum
FIRM: Finishing writing to storage
FIRM: New firmware found, start downloading!
FIRM: (OLD key) FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
FIRM: (NEW key) 69 AE B7 78 1F 49 4E 7F BC B6 C7 CD 9C 59 4F 5D FA AA 3D 81 D4 9C 56 90 A6 83 81 98 FF 18 88 6A
FIRM: Requesting firmware …
HTTP: Starting connection
HTTPS: Connection Opened: Starting TLS Negotiation
HTTP: Wait for TLS Connect
MON: SYS Stack size: 2849
MON: heap usage: 247KB (263KB), free: 92KB
HTTP: TLS Connection Opened: Starting Clear Text Communication
FIRM: Starting download
FIRM: available bytes: 530
FLASH: Storing FOTA Image
LORA: Kick LoRa module with ACK after not acked it for 60s
MON: heap usage: 250KB (263KB), free: 88KB
HTTP: Connection Closed
FIRM: Finishing writing to storage
FLASH: Stored FOTA FW size (2685440) does not match the expected size (2791284)
FLASH: Erasing FOTA Data and Image
MON: heap usage: 211KB (263KB), free: 128KB

MAIN: NEW FIRMWARE, REBOO
*** Application reboot

Anyone know what’s causing this or a way to fix it?