TTN GATEWAY central

I hope that now that the conference is over TTN will have some bandwidth to debug our gateways.

1 Like

Same problem here; it seems the gateway wants to write updated firmware to the LoRa card, retries one more time, and subsequently resets… :frowning:

Also within a continuous reboot loop here; it seems as soon as a an attempt is made to start the LoRa Module a reboot follows.

1 Like

Why do you think that? Do you have a different log than others above?

(Reading my serial output I’d guess it’s only trying to update the module’s configuration, like frequency plans. And though that fails, it seems to reboot later, maybe due to some watchdog timer.)

With no real progress in one week on this forum, should we just send the gateways to TTN for repair ? I like to debug it by myself with their support, but without support I cannot do that.

3 Likes

Well, we could start with sending registered letters insisting on either repair free of charge or replacement with a functioning gateway due to delivery of a ‘defective product’. That would be a way to increase the pressure on TTN.

One mystery seams to be solved now: https://github.com/TheThingsProducts/gateway/blob/59010b338e018eea06f6fa99f128acb6808ebaba/firmware/src/app_mqtt.c

#define LORA_UPLINK_IDLE_ONE_DAY \
(60 * 60 * (24 - 1)) // only 23 hours as for now the device is rebooted every 24h for firmware check
1 Like

How can I turn off the Wifi AP mode while being connected via LAN cable?

I will be operating my gateways via LAN only, so I should be able to turn off the “involuntary” acess point after successfully having configured the gateway. How do I do that?

Most users might not know that they are creating an accesspoint with a non-random password that can be looked up via its name in the Internet.

Been busy to get more debug data out of the gw, by enabling debug print but it doesn’t seem to flow through the watchdog and app_error routines when failing. So this look bad… Not a sign of the reason why it reboots until now.

I was thinking the BOOT: (persistant info) hex string might reveal some info as well, but the python script in the repo doesn’t know how to decode that, maybe it has another function.
Any pointers from development would be welcome.
From the hardware side, there were a few solder pallets (size 1mm) floating under my gw board, not good either.

Constant Reboot of Gateway, Join Not Accepted: Denied for Uno

I have been reading these comments for about an hour and it seems some of The Things Network devices are not configured properly. My gateway is 5 solid lights (connected) for 7 seconds, then the gateway reboots. It never completes the setup on the activation page. It just says waiting for gateway “name of gateway”. I have reset it several times, tried each of the settings and still no go. I tried different settings in the setup of the gateway. No go. It seems like The Things Network has sent defective product to hundreds of people.

The Arduino is functioning but cannot connect to the gateway over OTAA nor manual setup. I assume the UNO is working correctly but the gateway is defective. @TheThingsNetwork please send me another gateway that works or provide an update over the air that will fix this. I waited for over a year to receive a defective product. That is not good.

1 Like

Got similar issue over here with the gateway crashes after about 60 seconds. The gateway stops responding to a ping, all 5 LEDs go on and off. Most of the time the gateway automatically reboots after about 20 seconds.

I’ve connected a TTL to USB Serial cable to the RX and GND pins to have a look at the logging. Activation using WiFi or Ethernet works perfect however the gateway crashes 99 of 100 times within 60 seconds.

When the crash occurs, all LEDs switch on and off except for the LEDs 2-5 next to the MICROCHIP LG8271 module for about 10 seconds. After several minutes the gateway reboots.

When comparing the logs, it looks like 9 of 10 times it crashes when interacting with the Lora module:

CNFG: Load online user config state change to 6
FREQ: APP_URL_Buffer: https://account.thethingsnetwork.org/api/v2/frequency-plans/EU_863_870
HTTP: Starting connection
HTTPS: Connection Opened: Starting TLS Negotiation
HTTP: Wait for TLS Connect
HTTP: TLS Connection Opened: Starting Clear Text Communication
HTTP: Got 1232 bytes
MON: SYS Stack size: 2843
MON: heap usage: 227KB (233KB), free: 111KB
HTTP: Connection Closed
HTTP: Close active socket 1

CNFG: Load online user config state change to 7

CNFG: Configuring LoRa module
LORA: Changing state from 2 to 4
LORA: Starting reconfiguration
SNTP: State change from 0 to 0
SNTP: State change from 0 to 0

*   The Things Network   *
*      G A T E W A Y     *
Firmware name: AmazingAckermann, type: 0, version: 1.0.0, commit: 917719b9, timestamp: 1498499973
Bootloader revision: 1, commit: 7167873a, timestamp: 1496411298
Build time: Jun 26 2017 19:59:53
Reboot reason: 0x53
BOOT: (persisted info) 6F 72 72 65 01 03 BD
                                             CNF: Acout Srve UR: htps//count.thethingsnetwork.org
CNFG: Locked:             true
C: Locked first time:  false
IN: Leaving state 1
roMAIN: Enteng state 2
INET: State change o 0
Changing state from 0 to 1

Who can paste a complete log up until the exchange of packages?

arduino’s never ‘connect’ to gateways

did you try this

See above:

My FingBox keeps telling me my TTN-Gateway behaves odd so I assume it restarts multiple times a day, some days more often then others, anyone experiencing the same behaviour?
Documentation mentions it reboots and looks for updates once a day and downloads and installs when available then reboots again to come back online. What I see below does not match with this.

2018 Feb 4 14:39 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 4 14:34 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 4 14:34 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 4 14:27 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 4 14:26 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 4 14:14 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 4 14:14 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 4 14:11 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 4 11:41 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 4 11:37 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 4 11:00 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 4 10:58 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 4 10:18 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 4 09:58 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 4 08:32 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 4 08:15 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 4 08:14 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 4 08:11 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 4 07:57 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 4 07:05 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 4 05:44 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 4 04:35 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 2 13:33 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 2 13:28 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 2 13:08 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 2 13:03 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 2 12:42 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 2 12:36 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 2 11:10 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 2 11:02 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 2 10:43 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 2 10:27 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 2 10:17 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 2 10:02 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 1 00:58 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 1 00:47 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 1 00:47 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 1 00:27 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Feb 1 00:25 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network
2018 Feb 1 00:15 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain is in range
2018 Jan 27 21:59 THINGS-GATEWAY.localdomain entered the network

FINGBOX I had to google it

There are several mentions of this in this forum already. According to reactions (none) makers are not interested in good old networking best practices. “Works for me” seems to be the answer. And since we have the sources available now one answer is simple: This is hardcoded… we must fix it ourselves :frowning:

Thank you @bsiege, guess we just have to live with this for the moment then.
The TTN-Gateway is a nice toy and I have a bunch of LoRa enabled things waiting to be used when I find the time for them. So there is time for the programmers to improve and incorporate good old fashioned network design. :wink:

I know it’s Sunday, so I do not expect an answer today. But I like to know early next week who at TTN is in charge of the TTN gateway quality so that I can speak with someone about my DoA gateway. Can we discuss a debug procedure ? A sequence of tests to try to isolate the root cause of the issue, be it hardware or software ?

3 Likes

Gateway still connected although nothing received in an hour

Console shows nothing received from gateway since an hour …

connected doesn’t mean really connected …

Is the Microchip Lora PCI-E board used in the TTN gateways available for separate purchase anywhere?