TTN UNO - BETA release - Documentation

@thinginnovations i am following as per mentioned in this link: https://thinginnovations.uk/getting-started-with-microchip-rn2483-lorawan-modules .

I am tracking this everything(output) on SERIAL MONITOR of ARDUINO UNO BOARD with the connection of Microchip RN2483.

Do I require GATEWAY connection for tracking this version and everything ?

Please Let me know.

Thanks Andrew.

First problem to address is the corrupt characters.
Dont have access to try this at the moment.

@thinginnovations what you are trying to say ,can you clarify it?

Your corrupt characters are the first thing to sort out although you get the much shorter response ‘ok’ back correctly.

Have you seen any data go through your gateway?

You’d also want to change the node id from AABBCCDD to something within your allocated range. This is assuming you already have access to a gateway.

Thanks

Andrew

@thinginnovations

Below Mentioned type output where i have to get it on SERIAL MONITOR (OR) GATEWAY

Output:
factoryreset: RN2483 0.9.5 Mar 24 2015 14:15:33
MAC: 0004A30B001BA639
versie: RN2483 0.9.5 Mar 24 2015 14:15:33
set devaddr: ok
set appskey: ok
set nwskey: ok
set adr off: ok
ok
join: ok
accepted
ok
mac_tx_ok
ok

Looks like its working now.

@divum123 so, did it work in the end? I also had similar issues with the microchip at some point, but I suspected it was a crappy soldering on my side. I didn’t have time to look into it again, but I’ll retry this weekend. Would love to hear how you fixed it (if indeed you managed to)

Cheers

Hello All,
I can work on Linux too, I just updated my module

I did a

mkdir "C:\\"

worked for me, I fooled the broken software into thinking that c:\ existed
Greetings from Best

Reading through this thread I see a lot of questions I also had over the past few months while working with the RN2483 module. In the end I wrote an Arduino library for the RN2483.

An example sketch and the library is on github: https://github.com/jpmeijers/ttnmapperarduino

1 Like

Hello All ,

Is it Possible to transmit and receive the special characters with RN2483 Microchip…
ex:
radio tx @

radio tx #

radio tx %

radio tx $

like…

i tried so far but i am getting " invalid_param"

if know anyone please let me know…

Thanks in Advance.

@divum123

the rn2483 expects you sending bytes in HEXadecimal format… so for example sending a ‘$’ sign would be (the ascii value of $ is 36, so that’s 24 in hex) radio tx 24 … sending ‘#/%’ would be radio tx 232F25 etc.etc.

I am using the same guide and the same code but it seems to get stuck in
while(!lora.available()){delay(100);}
everytime.

I’ve doublechecked the connections. Could it be a problem with how it is soldered?

You have to use ‘mac tx uncnf 1 313233’ to send uncomfirmed data with port ‘1’ and a payload of ‘123’

I’ve been testing the RN2483 for a couple of weeks now. Softwareserial does scramble up data every now and then. It already helps to (obv.) connect grounds of eventual external power supply. Yet I would recommend using hardwareserial.

Bas

You probably also need to consider level shifters if you are using a 5V Arduino with a RN2483 module. I’ve been using SoftwareSerial for a while and not noticed any issues.

Andrew

Hello, I am using TTU with the RN2483 chipset to connect to a Lora gateway. I am using the code located in the git https://github.com/TheThingsNetwork/examples.git , I have just modified the Lora lib to include a call for getting the device mac addres mac get devaddr, as well as knowing the status mac get status before doing a join.

The problem I see is that, how can I have a mac of 00000000 and being joined to some gateway? My next question would be how do I know what gateway I am connected to?

Thanks in advance,

My outcome of running the code once

RN2483 0.9.5 Mar 24 2015 14:15:33
Device:  RN2483 0.9.5 Mar 24 2015 14:15:33
Battery: 3263
EUI: 0004A30B001A4206
MAC: 00000000
addr: ok
nwkskey: ok
appskey: ok
adr: ok
data rate: 5
ch: band: 868
rx delay1: 1000
rx delay2: 2000
Pwr: ok
status before join: 0000
Join: ok
accepted
LoRa module ready.
Sending: hi-1
RN2483 status:
ok
LoRa status:

OK, I know what is happening , stupid mistake, I was printing the mac after asigning it… Still, I was wondering how to know what LoRa gateway am I connected to.

Thanks,

You are not connected to a gateway, it’s not like WiFi. One or more gateways (or none if you are unlucky) will receive the data and forward it to the back-end. In the future (when the updated software is rolled out) the back-end will decide which gateway will send data back to your node if any data is to be transmitted to the node.

Hi Michael,

This is true, but actually Loriot is doing the right thing. One of the security features of LoRaWAN is that the nodes and server should stay in sync for rising frame counters to avoid cloning attacks. Eventually all LoRaWAN servers should fall in line, Loriot was just an early adopter of that feature, or maybe its better to say that others have chosen to exclude it because it is a little inconvenient during development.

For what its worth, later versions of RN2483 firmware (1.0.0 ++) let you save the frame counters to EEPROM using the “mac save” command and then it will automagically resume after a power cycle. You can also manually edit the up & down frame counters.

Thanks
JDP

When using ABP, the “join ok” really just means that the node is correctly configured. There is no over-the-air communication. That would be OTAA!