TTN UNO - BETA release - Documentation

You can also play with my Network Server with Otaa support and confirmed messages. Otaa solves the framecounter problem because it reset to zero on each join. The server is experimental (no guarantees! ) but I will be supporting it and improving it over time. Frame counters also filter out duplicates, for example there are 2 messages sent as a response in the two class A response time windows and framecounters prevent the duplicate message from processing…
https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/forum/t/experimental-vbb-iot-server-with-otaa-support/1375

So, in the mean time, what happens ? I cannot know whether the node is in a gateway? Let’s imagine that I buy a LoRa gateway that is for myself and I want to connect my The Things Uno, would it then not possinle to know whether that sensor is connected to that gateway?

Thanks

Regards

LoRaWAN nodes do not connect to a gateway. A node broadcasts the data and any gateway within reach will receive the data. If you gateway is within reach it will receive the data and forward it to your back-end. In the back-end you will see the data and know the node is within reach.
Another way to see if you can reach the gateway is when your back-end and application supports acknowledgements the node can ask for acknowledgement when sending data. When you receive the acknowledgement you know you are within reach of the gateway and data was received by the application.

With loriot you can change the Seqno checking of your device to Relaxed, which means you don’t have to save the frame counter. Less secure but fine during development.
You can find this option in the device section of the loriot dashboard (‘LoRaWAN Sequence numbers’).

I guess it would be nice to have such an option in ttn too.

1 Like

I seemed to have bricked my Sodaq Mbili with RN2483 while trying to upgrade from 0.9.5 to 1.0.0. I tried this via a serial passthrough sketch. Now the serial console only displays “SSFZXAà” and does not show up as RN 0 in the LoRa.jar. In bootmode the jar sees com5 and reports boot loader 1.0.2. I then select the firmware (RN2483_Parser.X.production.Bootloader.hex) and try to upload it. The JAR reports upgrading has started but within a few seconds it resets the screen and shows me the LoRa logo on the right and I have to start again. I’ve now done this many times, attempted about every serial speed, but again and again: same result.

Any hints/tips on how to reanimate this module or is it permanently wrecked?

Strange as it may sound, rebooting the computer helped when I experienced this some time ago.

Isn’t the bootloader using a different baudrate, you may have to set the passthru sketch accordingly. (for both USB and serial at the same speed to avoid overruns)

Afaics the boot loader operates at 19200 (also tried 57600 just to make sure). I’ve hardcoded both serial ports to this value (my previous code did a getDefaultBaudRate) and I’ve changed the pipe a bit (first I did a loraSerial.write((char)debugSerial.read()); and vice versa in the loop, now I’m omitting the (char)…) But again, same result: none. Also tried rebooting the Parallels VM plus rebooting my Macbook as @kersing suggested (for several reasons I can’t install JRE8 on my Macbook, I need to stick at 7 here, so using a Windows 7 VM for this) without any luck :frowning:

I have actually both JRE’s installed on my mac :slight_smile: can you share the full sketch ? I may give this a go on my autonomo later …

I have tried this, but the application that I use for work requires JRE7 (only) and installing 8 broke it. I’ve never bothered to investigate why, so I’m using a Windows VM for anything that requires JRE8 :smile:

Btw : tonight I bypasses the Mbili by hooking up the lorabee directly to a usb/serial converter: same results (no successful upgrade via the bootloader).

This is the sketch I’ve been using in various variations. I’ve tried changing the speed of both ports at 19200 and 57600. Also I’ve tried changing the pipe from “loraSerial.write((char)debugSerial.read())” to “loraSerial.write(debugSerial.read())” (and of course match the corresponding

#include <Sodaq_RN2483.h>
#define debugSerial Serial
#define loraSerial Serial1

void setup()
{
	debugSerial.begin(19200);
	loraSerial.begin(19200);
}

void loop()
{
  while (debugSerial.available()) 
  {
    loraSerial.write((char)debugSerial.read());
  }

while (loraSerial.available()) 
  {
    debugSerial.write((char)loraSerial.read());
  }
}

I can not open this video,please send it to my email 773854101@qq.com.thanks!!!

i also got the same problem, so what we should do to resolved this problem.
please help me,
i already tried with HIDBOOTLOADER and lora community utility but still its not working…

I successfully upgraded my Lorabee to firmware 1.01 with the LoRaDevelopmentGUI (lora.jar). I did this connecting my lorabee directly to my FTDI pcb (or cable might also work) , connecting (UART) RX,TX, GND and 3.3V. I used the bootloader function with baudrate 19200. It worked almost immediately.

With mbili+lorabee and the Serial pass-trough program wouldn’t work(think problem with RX-TX through the 2 serials), you must try it upgrading it directly through UART on the LoRabee.

You can always flash firmware directly into the RN2483 with a PickIt 2 or 3 programmer and revive it that way.

More info in this post

Hi everybody,

Someone has a link to download the new RN2903 firmware ? Both RN2483 and RN2903 (0.9.5) have a huge bug with updating frame counters so I want to put the RN2903 with a new firmware.

If you have a link like the RN2483 I’m waiting for it pleaaaasseee.

Thx

Hi,

I’m trying to run the DeviceInfo script on the original TTN Uno beta to get the device id. The code compiles, I’m able to upload it and see the output with the serial monitor. But I don’t get any values.

Use the EUI to register the device for OTAA

Device Information

EUI:
Battery:
AppEUI:
DevEUI:
Data Rate:
RX Delay 1:
RX Delay 2:

And when I use the microchip Lora Development Utility it won’t recognize it, adding a new bootloader won’t finish.

I have the feeling that the UNO is broken or am I missing something here?

Arnoud

Hi,

Just one question:

I was trying to connect to semtech for testing but did not work until i’ve used these keys.

Only these two will work or can i configure my own?

thank you

Hi Martijn,

I am trying this using a FTDI cable direct on the D9 pin. I see the leds Tx.Rx flash but after about 20/30 seconds flashing leds, the RN is still a brick.

Do you think I can use one of the d9 plug pins for the 3.3v ?

Hi @damylen, did you manage to solve this? I’m also having the same issue. I’m running the DeviceInfo sketch and getting serial garbage as the EUI etc:

EUI: �
Battery: �
AppEUI: 2
DevEUI: k
Data Rate: i
RX Delay 1: )
RX Delay 2: �

I’ve connected the Uno via micro USB using the default baudrate of 9600. I’ve also tested using a faster 115200 baud.

did you install the TTN libraries on the arduino IDE

see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Fh5OF8ev0&list=PLM8eOeiKY7JVwrBYRHxsf9p0VM_dVapXl&index=5