TTNmon: Node monitoring

Time to announce some updates. I fixed some bugs and added new features to TTNmon.
First of all you can now switch between UTC and local time. If local time is selected, your browsers timezone will be used to convert the time.
It is now possible to link directly to a nodes data within a specified date range and a gateway. Example: The URL https://ttnmon.meis.space/console/#device-1-29.4.2018-30.4.2018-eui-b827ebfffed5ce60 shows connection during severe weather in Aachen last month. The RSSI of the preselected gateway drops during heavy rain. URLs can be directly copied from the browsers address bar. It is recommended to share only UTC urls.

Last but not least I added a gateway explorer which I want to enhance soon. It shows a searchable list of all gateways. Viewing the details page you can see a list of nodes which has a link to this gateway. This list is currently incomplete as I had some changes in the database. I’ll try to restore this data but it will take some time because of the raw data size of about 1GB.

My next goal is to compare nodes connected to a gateway to add the ability to find highly used channels and calculate used airtime. Do you have any more suggestions for the gateway explorer?
I was also thinking about a small deamon which could run on gateways and send some information like CPU temperature and load to TTNmon. Additionally it could be added to the poly forwarder and collect basic information of nodes which don’t send their data to TTNmon. This way airtime calculations and channel analysis would become more accurate. Another nice feature would be to find other LoRaWAN networks in the region. What do you think about this idea? Would you install such an application on your gateay?

@SmartNOOB is TTNMon still operational?
I cannot access my data for weeks now.
I hope it will stay operational.

Cu, Remko.

Well not really, but at least a bit. When I started with TTNmon I didn’t expect getting the huge amount of data I collected after nearly two years. Thus I built a solution based on PHP and MySQL. I had to change to another server after just a few months. Currently TTNmon runs on a dedicated server which is also hosting some other services like mail or my personal blog. But TTNmon is consuming most of the available ressources (main problem are the slow disks in RAID1).
This is why the MySQL based TTNmon version became completely unuseable a few weeks ago. In June or July I started a new TTNmon version based on MySQL for relational data like auth tokens and devices, Influx for the time series and Python as new web backend. I’m currently missing the time to add all functions which were available in the old version.
As the PHP version became completely unuseable I decided to switch to the new version which is already collecting all packets. I also migrated the old data to Influx. There is a Beta version available at https://beta.tttnmon.meis.space/. It is currently able to list your devices and show the basic gateway metadata for your gateway. Unfortunately the graphs to show the connection quality between a node and a gateway are not yet available. Graphing is now done by Grafana and there is a publicly available dashboard for nodes and gateways which can be used to show your data right now: https://grafana.ttnmon.meis.space/. I know that this doesn’t have a good usability but it is sadly the only option at the moment.

While TTNmon became much more responsive with Influx + Grafana it is already obvious that the disk load is still much too high to ensure a stable system in future. I’m currently looking for a way to host TTNmon on an SSD based server in future. To stay on budget I will need to restructure a bigger part of my infrastructure which is again time consuming.

I apologize for the inconvenience and hope to be able to enhance the new version as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Hi @SmartNOOB there is no need to apologize. This is a volunteering activity. :slight_smile:
Happy to hear that avtivities are still on-going and the project is not abandoned. Thank you for your effort. I hope to here more soon.

After about two months TTNmon is available again at https://ttnmon.meis.space. The basic functionality has been restored. It is now possible to query packet metadata as well as gateway metadata. Performance is much better than before.

The map as well as the gateway explorer are currently still unavailable. I hope to finish the implementation of these modules soon.

It is now no longer required to give TTNmon access to your devices list. Device EUIs are now connected to the authentication token. This circumvents the requirement of validating passed information and allows duplicate EUIs within TTN (which might actually happen).

You might need to clear your webcache to load the latest javacript files.

3 Likes

Nice work @SmartNOOB
I have several devices in several applications and now have a nice overview of all of them. A good example of an efficient device management tool.

Keep on with the work so we can get the maps too.

Thank you for your effort. Keep-up the good work!

1 Like

Unfortionately I cannot use my old token. Is this correct?
afbeelding

This error should not occur as I migrated all authentication tokens. It might be a caching problem as endpoints and data structure for authentication has been changed. I updated the file to be loaded freshly by your browser. In case the problem persists please try to clear your cache. If the token is still invalid, please send me a private message containing your token

Just send the DM :wink:

Thanks for the report. I fixed the problem. It was not related to your key. I forgot to merge the updates to the public version

2 Likes

Hi @SmartNOOB somehow i can’t get access to my information anymore we have placed 12 new gateways including 3 gateways above 120Meter from ground level it looks like te same problem as @pe1mew has above

This happend due to a server migration. Should work now as intended. Please let me know in case you experience any more problems

Thnxs @SmartNOOB i have access to my account again only when i sign the map don’t show up anymore any idea ? i already cleared the cache from my browser

The map feature is currently unavailable. I switched form MySQL to InfluxDB and from PHP to Python. I didn’t have time to implement all of the features which existed before