Unable to join - Rx timeout

My first time posting so please be gentle. I have been following an example to setup a Lora weather station. I have deployed a gateway with balena basic station with a rak2287

On the node side I have a cubecell htcc-ab01 with a bme280 sensor

I have searched through all the topics on Rx timeout and most have been about Rx sensitivity being lower than tx but my gateway and node are about 1m apart.

I am assuming I have a frequency wrong somewhere but I am a bit lost of what I have done wrong. Everything has been defined as au915_fsb1.

Appreciate any help / direction

I have attached the gateway config
The screenshot of the serial monitor
And the gateway in TTS

JoinFails.txt (3.1 KB) image001

global_conf (1).json (3.4 KB)

So appears it is always a good idea to check device eui and app key. They were wrong. I fixed them and now have joined successfully and getting the expected payload.

joining…TX on freq 915200000 Hz at DR 5
Event : Tx Done
RX on freq 923300000 Hz at DR 13
Event : Rx Done
Temperature: 19C, Humidity: 45%, Pressure: 1003 mbar, Battery Voltage: 4436 mV, Battery Level: 100 %
confirmed uplink sending …
TX on freq 916400000 Hz at DR 5
RX on freq 926900000 Hz at DR 13
received unconfirmed downlink: rssi = -91, snr = 9, datarate = 13
Temperature: 18C, Humidity: 46%, Pressure: 1003 mbar, Battery Voltage: 4798 mV, Battery Level: 100 %
TX on freq 915800000 Hz at DR 5
RX on freq 925100000 Hz at DR 13
received unconfirmed downlink: rssi = -89, snr = 10, datarate = 13
Temperature: 18C, Humidity: 46%, Pressure: 1003 mbar, Battery Voltage: 4696 mV, Battery Level: 100 %
TX on freq 916200000 Hz at DR 5
RX on freq 926300000 Hz at DR 13
received unconfirmed downlink: rssi = -90, snr = 10, datarate = 13

Please move them further apart. The current setup is like someone shouting in your ears. You are overloading the sensitive receiver circuits.

Done moved about 20m apart now - still all working

Thanks

PS, Rx timing is about the delay time between the devices uplink tx and when it starts to listen for any potential downlinks.

In that context, be aware that the old version of TTN was set to 1s, so many devices & code base will work to that, the new version is a more internet delay friendly 5s. You may never come across this as an issue, but you can keep it in the back of your mind.

Appreciate the advice

When moved apart (20m) it is struggling - with many messages dropped

I will have a closer look at the heltec library - it is all on the Rx not being received by the node

Screenshot_20210613-181224 Screenshot_20210613-181257

When you say Rx not being received by the node do you mean a Downlink - a message you set in the console that goes from the gateway to the device?

If so, and nothing is arriving, this is where you check on the Rx1 delay.

What are the downlinks for? And are you aware the Fair Use Policy is for 10 a day with a target of an average of 1 or 2 a week, if that.

No I am not sending anything from the console - or any downlink messages - apologies my post is not with using the correct language - still very new.

This is the tx confirmation that is not reaching the node - I will post some more logs to explain more

The node is on a 300second poll cycle sending temperature and humidity - they are missed most times. I am hypothesizing that I have a configuration item or code item wrong

Andrew

Are you using confirmed uplinks? If you do, stop. LoRaWAN is asymmetric, it doesn’t scale when the gateway has to transmit. So keep any downlinks, including acknowledgments, below 10 a day per node. Preferably don’t use downlinks beyond a couple a week.

done. thanks for the guidance.