Unknown chip

Hi,
I want to make my very first node for EU 868MHz. I received small PCB with chip on it marked (I hope I can see it correct) RF59. I already made some tests with SX chips on 433MHz - success. But it seems this new PCB is not compatible with SX family. (?)
I attach the registers content after powerON. The beginning resembles very much SX family just shifted one step.
Does anyone recognize this registers what is a real chip I received?

PowerONregs.txt (3.4 KB)

I don’t know of any module with chip marking RF59, there are modules with marking RF95.

As far as I know, there are (at least) two families of semtech LoRa SX chips: SX127x series which has a low-level register interface, and SX126x which has more high-level command interface.

Your register settings indeed seem to partially match the SX127x series.
I wonder if perhaps your SPI settings are correct. I would double-check those.
Also I would start with a low SPI speed setting to rule out problems with dodgy cabling.

If you read the chip register value multiple times, are the values at least the same between reads?

Can you check ?

Hope RF who make the RFM9x LoRa modules do have the LoRa ICs with RF95, RF96 etc lablels.

A picture would be best - under a bright light with the camera at a 45deg to the chip top so we can read the markings. Both sides.

I had an access to to microscope and it is RF69, not 59. Unfortunately it does not support Lora modulation.
I am surprised what are those chips for?! It can still hop the frequency, it can do 868MHz and Lora message is not a miracle at all.
What is then special with Lora modulation it can not do it?

1 Like

Are you sure - how many other modulation techniques can hear the signal below the noise floor?

Patents, intellectual property rights and lots of lawyers.

The RF IC needs specific internal hardware to do LoRa modulation.

LoRa can operate at circa -20dBm below the noise floor.

Conventional FSK type RF ICs need signals that are about 5dBm above the noise floor.

So LoRa has a significant link advantage.

I already ordered PCB with SX1276

Thanx!