Unknown Traffic on my Gateway

Howdy, I have a LoRaGo Dock functioning as a single channel TTN Gateway that I got up and running on 1 May 2020. It is the only LoRa device that I have functioning. Despite that, I have had quite a bit of traffic over the Gateway. At the time of this post, I have had 3189 received messages. All from the same device address, “26 01 15 3d” .
I find it odd that there would be someone else using LoRa technology near me since the only other Gateway within a couple of hundred miles is15 miles away and it is not in the line of sight of my location.

I don’t care if someone is using my LoRa Gateway since I have made it public. Is there any way I can find out anything about the device that is generating all of these messages?

Could it be that the LoRaGo Dock that is itself generating the traffic?

Er What?

Thanks

Sorry, bad news, but a single-channel forwarder is not a gateway. And the other users now have their packets received and forwarded to TTN by a device that claims to be a gateway, but really is not, which can harm their operations. As clearly other TTN users are in your (long range) neighbourhood (though maybe they’ve not made their gateway’s location public), please disconnect your single-channel forwarder from TTN.

See also Single Channel Packet Forwarders (SCPF) are obsolete and not supported.

1 Like

Howdy Arjan

I have shut the device down. I also have a Raspberry Pi Dragino hat that is set up as a single channel gateway. I have shut that one down as well.
Please pardon my ignorance, but is there any use for any of these supposed single channel gateways, or have I just wasted my money?

Unfortunately, pretty much.

They aren’t gateways. In theory you could use them as nodes, but typically the processors/code environments aren’t very suitable to the timing demands of LoRaWAN RX windows so that wouldn’t work well without code that opens very widely padded windows.

Essentially the only use for them in a “central” role would be in a private network that wasn’t really LoRaWAN. In theory a device address filter selecting for only your own node could limit collateral damage on a shared network, but even that is probably going to be an unpopular topic of discussion here.

Howdy

I guess a person can’t have too many Objet d’arts :unamused:

Thanks