Uplink channel not found

Hi everyone, I am new to TTN and Heltec. I am trying to setup a gateway and at least two end nodes. Right now, I am having issues with connecting to my gateway.

For the gateway I am receiving the uplink message it then forwards it:

Forward uplink message cluster

Forward uplink message packet broker

For the end node I am then getting an error message that says:

“data”: {
@type”: “type.googleapis.com/ttn.lorawan.v3.ErrorDetails”,
“namespace”: “pkg/networkserver”,
“name”: “uplink_channel_not_found”,
“message_format”: “uplink channel not found”,

I was able to connect and uplink data, but now I am having issues. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Most likely there is a mis-match between your gateway / region / device settings.

But with all these things, it would help immensely if we knew exactly what gateway you have and exactly what Heltec devices and exactly which firmware and which region you are in and if you are connecting by OTAA or ABP. Plus anything else that is in the mix that isn’t part of the norm - that is, a decision made that departs from documentation.

1 Like

Hi, I am having trouble with connecting my end node using OTAA. I keep getting “drop join-request” I have ensured that my AppEUI, DevEUI, and AppKey are all correct.

On my gateway I would get this:

50037F7E-3360-4304-A41F-A3A4C11B6C8E

On my endnode I get this error message:
5FC9FD15-C07C-46A4-BB44-30EE2A36D2EE

I am unsure how to solve the issue.

And help/advise is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

The error is listed on the same line. It mentions the uplink frequency is not found for your device. This usually means the device in the TTN console was added with a frequency plan that doesn’t match the device firmware.
However due to the information you do not provide in your question we can only guess.

1 Like

Hi @kersing This is what I have for the gateway:

9BC81B72-F399-4984-AD36-BC257E449F5C

and this is what I have for the end node:

957A0B60-2C34-4B4F-8A26-CBC3AFD2ADF4

To connect to the TTN I am using Arduino Esp32_LoRaWAN library and example code for the OTAA connection.

6FB4EB8C-069B-4E92-A1AB-BA3853755DF6

A0B43CF3-F46F-43D6-95E8-329915F327CB

Hi @descartes yes, Ill provide the information:

I have an Esp32-single-channel gateway from GitHub - vpcola/ESP32SingleChannelGateway: A Fork of the popular ESP8266 single channel gateway adapted to ESP32 on the 915Mhz band.

I am in the US region and my device is the Heltec LoRa WiFi v2 868-915Mhz and I am connecting via OTAA. I ensured that my AppEUI, DevEUI, and AppKey are all correct.

Thanks again for your help!

Please search the Forum. Single (or Dual) Channel GW’s are not supported on TTN and have been depricated then unsupported for many years. You are seeing one of the consequences of using such SCPF’s. They are disruptive to other users…please disconnect it from TTN ASAP.

Get a full LoRaWAN (8+channels) GW and try again…they are not expensive.

1 Like

Hi @Jeff-UK Thank you for letting me know! I have disconnected it from TTN.

I do want to ask what are you recommendation for a full LoRaWAN gateway?

Again a search of the Forum can be very revealing… it will also depend on what you want to do with the GW and how deep you want to go into it. If developing nodes then usually the information details presented through the TTN Console will be enough to assist in running your nodes, however, in some more complex developments having access to detailed GW logs locally vs relying on the console can be a benefit and help in node debug and tracking errant behaviour, I tend to fall in the former camp but also have some gw’s that allow more detailed investigation. If all you are after is a low cost, easy set up full LoRaWAN GW for indoor use then you can do worse than consider the likes of the TTIG (TheThings Indoor GW), for aro $70-100 depending on taxes and where in the world! That is WiFi only. You may also see the equivalent OEM branded device from Browan/Gemtek. Possibly the cheapest full, enclosed GW? Another good low end choice is something like the Dragino LPS8, or some of its newer siblings, RAK do several developer GW’s that allow a bit more detailed access and various firmware build options supported by either RAK or the TTN community. These systems typically then also add a wired Ethernet option. RAK and others also sell concentrator cards for you to add to your own compute platform (typically some flavour of Raspberry Pi or variant on that idea) for a homebrew build. I find the Laird RG1xx series another reliable and quick to set up full commercial gateway. Most manufacturers seem to have some level of entry level product with different (usually s/w oriented ) features or differentiation… look at e.g. Tektelik, Mikrotik, Kerlink, Multitech, et al. Previously I would have steered you to original SX1301 or SX1308 based GW’s with proven records and good support, but increasingly devices based on newer implementations such as the SX1302 have established themselves, and several based on the latest SX1303 have now started shipping in volume. This is one of the key issues in that with the semiconductor supply issues we are all facing you may find various implementations or regional versions (guess you want US915!) may be out of stock or on longer leadtimes…be flexible, as frankly there isnt a huge difference for basic operation between the various families, mainly it comes down to how well the various manufacturers have followed the ref designs and added enhancements or additional software flexibility, or gone tthe otherway and looked to value engineer the designs down to a cost. Newer builds tend to offer lower power consumption - if that is important to you at this point (but we are only talking a few watts total consumption anyhow), or may offer additional channels or SF support - this can be of limited value if doing a basic TTN deployment, but gives some future proofing. If looking at outdoor GW’s again there are lots to choose from ranging from basic near consumer like type plastic housed devices through more rugged and higher IP protection rated systems - typically in metal housings, withe better thermal management - to help mitigate both internal dissipation and solar gain for exposed deployments - and typically supporting external antenna based on use of e.g. N-Type connectors vs built in antennas or smaller SMA connectors on the indoor units, all the way up to enterprise or even telco grade systems. Again all the above mentioned players have outdoor units, the Things Industries version being the TTOG! :slight_smile: I’m sure others will chip in with comments and suggestions, so if you have a clearer idea of what you want and what you want to try and do with the GW then no doubt the guidance will be more effective.

2 Likes