V3 kickstarter gateway was working now not receiving downlinks from the server

Whilst troubleshooting another problem this one surfaced. I thought it best to move it to a new thread to aid focus.

I have a kickstarter gateway that has been running on V3 for a couple of months with no bother. Yesterday I noticed that JOIN_ACCEPT messages were not being passed on to my test end device.

On looking at the console log (see screen snip) I can see that the console shows uplink JOIN_REQUEST messages were received from my gateway bnn-ttn-1 but TTN has tried to schedule the JOIN_ACCEPT to bnn-ttn-1@ttn.

When I got this gateway going, months ago, it was found it would not activate with the @ttn tennant on the gateway id. I think the docs at the time said not to include it for the community usage. So the tennant was removed, the gateway activated and all was, apparently, well till yesterday . It could have gone wrong earlier but I only develop end nodes on the odd occasion.

On this page it tells me to add the @ttn tennant - I’m pointing at the https://eu1.cloud.thethings.network so I guess it now needs the tennant.

https://www.thethingsindustries.com/docs/gateways/thethingskickstartergateway/

I have tried reconfiguring and adding the @ttn to my gateway id - but the gateway is stuck on activating, even after a power cycle (with 10s wait).

I have tried reverting back to the previous setting without the @ttn but it is still stuck activating.

The gateway is connected to my home network with an ethernet cable.

I can provide the gateway serial output but the log mainly shows stack usage with one LGMD:Rejected packet (0x11). The gateway info page just provides this info

Has anyone got any ideas as to how this can be fixed please? To me it looks like there has been a code change on the server - adding the tennant where there was none.

Regards
Brian

I have swtched off the gateway in the hope the connection will be forgotten and will re-activate later today.

Other people I know with the same gw hdw (kickstarter) are not experiencing the same problem.

Failing that I will create a new gateway and try again. It might be a pattern matching problem because I have ‘ttn’ in my gateway id. Although, this wasn’t an issue before it stopped receiving downlinks from TTN

Well, would you Adam and Eve it.

I tried again and it failed to activate (using Firefox browser)

Took a chance and switched to using a Chrome browser - it has re-activated and the problem has gone away for now.

I did notice some mention of firmware upating going on in the gateway serial log. But that’s tosh coz it hasn’t changed on the info page - maybe it’s something to do with the frequency plan.

Why the browser made a difference I don’t know. Maybe it was the long switch off allowing cached values to be expired. I don’t know.

Maybe it was just because it was halloween.

I can make no sense of it but I’m back in business - well not business but the dev fun zone.

More info. The GW was restarting for England. Traced to the ethernet connection ‘Network changed’ message in GW serial log. Disconnected the ethernet and the gw has now been stable for an hour. Looks like my gigabit switch was the cause.

1 Like

Had a similar problem on a totally different bit of kit a couple of years back, fortunately it wasn’t the switch but a failing Ethernet connector/joint that was going intermittent dependent on a near by machine vibration and temperature conditions! Swap the cable and see if that solves…cheaper than a new switch/port?

Maybe. The gateway is on a window ledge in my spare room. I live in a cul-de-sac so no heavy traffic going by. The cable is about 15m long plugged into the switch in my ‘computer room’.

For now I have just rebooted all my switches - there are 3 en-route to the outside world. The WiFi router is in the living room immediately below the gateway and it goes straight to the Lightstream fibre cable.All is stable, and has been for a couple of hours now.

If it behaves on my WiFi I won’t bother with ethernet but if I have need to plug it in I’ll look out for that connection idea.

The clues were there for some time and I ignored them not realising they were having an impact.

There have been funny intermittent network problems with some of my NAS hanging off the switch that was being used with the GW. Some software saying the NAS wasn’t there when starting up my PC but when I accessed it, there it was.

It looks to me like the kickstarter gw doesn’t have a network fall back mode.

Anyway, job done. How do I add solved to the title?

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.