Weather-proofing the things gateway

No need for wood. just take a metal pole and install in the clamps you currently have the antenna mounted. It should be long enough for the top to be just above the handrail. i’m guessing antenna length but the pole would probably be 0.75 - 1 m long. To the top of the pipe, clamp the antenna. Only issue, you will need a slightly longer antenna cable.

Remember the golden rule, antenna height is far more important than an extra dB or two of antenna gain. You need to get above all the obstacles and get a clear line of sight in all directions.

Nice photos by the way. Which city is the gateway located?

Oops, sorry, missed your question…

It’s in Stockholm, opposite the central station. At around 1.6 million packets received since I put it up :slight_smile:

Moving it tomorrow, will try to find some suitable material to raise the antenna or a new placement. Have now got vulcanising tape :white_check_mark:

Great that you shared the design. Can you tell me what type of coax cable you’ve used and where I can order it. It seems to be a coax cable right from the microchip module to the N female bulkhead.

This one

@mellbratt, thanks for sharing !

1 Like

Hi everyone, maybe something out of this topic can be of interest for those that designing an outdoor GW.

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/community/posadas/post/collaborating-with-neighbouring-communities-first-gateway-installed-in-obera

1 Like

Using wires to connect the Raspberry Pi to the concentrator is bad engineering and should be avoided for any production usage. Those wires are prone to cause issues with the timing critical SPI signals. It would be better to use a properly routed PCB to connect those components.

1 Like

Hi there, yes I am aware of that.
Since it is not that easy to import stuff here in Argentina, we decided to go with this alternative just for now.

But I totally agree with you that wires should always be avoided.

1 Like