What frequency to use in Sweden?

For the project I’m still working on (ESPEasy controller using TTN-LoRaWAN) I had sent a few units to a friend of mine who lives in Sweden, along with a number of TTIG units to get started.

But then we read about the frequencies by country: https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/lorawan/frequencies-by-country.html

For Sweden it states:

EU433 (CEPT 868MHz not implemented)

But if I look on the TTNmapper site, I do see some gateways mentioned which do clearly use 868 MHz (e.g. MikroTik LoRa8 or other descriptions indicating 868 MHz)

So I wonder, what is the status of what frequency to use in Sweden for TTN?

• Is it illegal to run on 868 MHz over there?
  • It may be not illegal, but just isn’t regulated specifically for LoRaWAN?
  • Something else?
2 Likes

From what I find in the Swedish frequency plan is the EU standard SRD860 implemented.
The frequencies used by TTN EU868 is free for “any” use, and with the same regulations as in the TTN configuration.

And there is only one TTN configuration to use in EU and that is EU868.

The TTN documentation seams to be outdated for Sweden.

I pushed a merge request to update this part of the documentation: https://github.com/TheThingsNetwork/docs/pull/376

For more info see PTS information:
https://etjanster.pts.se/radio/frekvensplanen/

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.
Let’s hope my Swedish friend is now also reassured. :slight_smile:

Tack för infon! :slight_smile:

*Thanks for the info.

The section from the PTS document (p29):

108 § 865–868 MHz: Radiosändare för ospecificerat tillämpningsområde.50
Högsta effekt: 25 mW e.r.p.
Teknik för spektrumtillträde och för undvikande av störning som ger minst motsvarande prestanda som den teknik som beskrivs i harmoniserade standarder som antagits enligt direktiv 2014/53/EU ska användas; alternativt får en sändningscykel om ≤ 1 % användas.

If you quote non English text, please provide a translation for the forum where we use English to communicate.

I think Jimmy (Grovkillen) is already offline, so the Google Translate:

1 Like

Google Translate was correct. Thanks Gijs (TD-er). And sorry for the non-English quote.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

the LoRaWAN 1.1 Regional Parameters document lists that Sweden uses 868 - 870 MHz band while most other EU counties specify 863 - 870MHz. Does this mean that for Sweden I can only use the default three uplink channels?

Hello everyone,

How about 433 MHz frequency operation in Sweden?
I see some graphs in a thesis which shows that 433 MHz may be more suitable for city areas. True?

http://www.diva-portal.se/smash/get/diva2:1316867/FULLTEXT01.pdf

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards

Ahmed

1 Like

Whether technically more suitable or not, you are limited to frequencies supported by the LoRaWAN standards and what is supported by The Things Network.

For the first consult the LoRaWAN regional specifications, for the latter consult TTN documentation.

Hey, I found info from this link: Global Frequency Plans - LoRaWAN Network Server Osprey (v7.x) - Documentation Hub

Sweden EU433 (CEPT 868MHz not implemented) CEPT Rec. 70-03

From LoRa-Alliance Regional Parameters vs a single vendor (LORIOT) site (not sure how recently LORIOT info updated), RP 1.0.3 was last year

Note X indicates market availablility of LoRaWAN certified devices with Regulatory Type Approval.

@ahmedhussain85 I know your question a little old, but in general yes lower frq better as allows for deeper penetration in the built environment, but at cost of fewer channels, reduced data rates and larger physical sizes (antenna length etc.) - note 433Mhz often noisy in urban/suburban settings due to garage door openers, RF remotes, burglar alarms heating control systems and other extensive 433/434 Mhz users…for that reason metering applications often adopt the even lower frquency 169Mhz range - especially for in ground water metering etc. The 900 Mhz bands (various 863-928 ranges) sub GHz usually adopted as a good compromise c/w say lower penetration 1.8Ghz, 2.1Ghz, 2.4Ghz, 3.5Ghz/5Ghz+ etc and Sub UHF/VHF bands. Not every LoRaWAN service will support 433Mhz, closest is often China 470Mhz band.