What is the difference between arduino uno and The Things uno

thank you very much!

This one works for an Arduino UNO + RN2483:

1 Like

@Martinlocher, @kots There is a potential issue I hit with these Dragino shields: https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/forum/t/not-a-miracle-shield-design-flaw/6304

@Sandgroper hello! Unfortunately the link you provided to us isnt working.

The design of the shield is flawed. The design originally had level converters to interface between the 3.3volt of the Modem and a 5 volt Arduino. In version 1.3 of the shield they disconnected the 5 volt rail of the shield and instead connected it to the 3.3 volt rail. Not only did this make the level converter useless but it already leads to a condition when the minimum logic high received by the ATMEG processor, the the guaranteed minimum voltage output for a logic high sit literally on the threshold. If the Arduino power supply put out 5.1volt instead of 5.0 volts (still in tolerance) and the 3.3 volt regulator put out 3.2 volts (also in tolerance) then the interface would fail to guarentee operation. This is without factoring any noise into the equation.
To fix the problem you can either use a 3.3 volt Arduino or power the Arduino from 4.5 volts which would still let it run at full speed but would satisfy the logic level conditions for the interface between the Arduino UNO and the shield.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information. Lets see how the draginos are doing in a longer term test. We had them only for a couple of days live but without any glitch.

However what we noticed is that the draginos had issues running stable on a battery with sleep enabled. Not sure if it was related to sleep modes as they were running perfectly without sleep or is the problem related to the code or to power supply. lets see how its developing.

How to purchase Things UNO in united states? Can someone please advice?

They have been marked as discontinued at the distributors in the UK for some time now so I’d not expect too many to be findable anywhere.

Why the Things Uno? What features do you need?

forgive my ignorance… I am new to LoRA and looking to have my own device to perform some hands-on testing. if Things Uno is discontinued, can you please suggest what I should buy for the home lab?

Hello Martinlocher, I also have an arduino uno and dragino shield - 868mhz but the shield is not getting powered what could be the problem