What kind of Gateway should I use at home?

I would like to setup a gateway to add coverage around Sneek, NL. I would be able to put an antenna on my roof. What would be the easiest way to realize this? Is it wise to start learning with some RPI setup? Or just connect something like the TTIG?

The TTIG has an internal LoRaWAN antenna and no connector to attach an external antenna. You can do a hack yourself to add an external connector anyway, but this involves opening the case, drilling a hole and attaching an IPX-to-SMA cable. It’s a relatively closed platform, WiFi only.

I think I would consider a Dragino LPS8. It does have a connector for an external antenna right out of the box. It runs a relatively standard Linux / OpenWRT operating system, with LoRaWAN added. Easy to configure over a web interface. More expensive than a TTIG, still less expensive than may other gateways. The gateway itself is indoor only, but you can put the antenna outside of course.

The LPS8N probably has a SMA connector right? I guess an antenna cable of 5 or 10 meters would not be a problem for the 868MHz signal?

10M of RG11 co-ax, 10mm diameter, would loose you around 2dB in signal or around 25% range\distance.

The Dragino LPS8 has a SMA (female) connector. If you use 10m of coaxial-cable use a low loss one. If you don’t know how to mount a SMA-connector use a cable with the connectors already fitted.
In EU you are allowed to “compensate” the loss of the cable and the connectors by the gain of the antenna. But don’t use an antenna with to much gain, 6dBi is sufficient.

Yes, it has, looks like a regular SMA (no reverse polarity)

I would recommend looking for a used Helium Miner. RAK/MNTD are built with Raspberry Pi’s and already have a concentrator hat. You can also buy them for very cheap now because many people have given up on them. Many people are also selling off their nice antennas, outdoor enclosures, etc. and they come in a nice aluminum enclosure as well.
RAK Miner Raspberry pi 4 4gb
MNTD Blackspot Raspberry pi 4 4gb
MNTD Goldspot Raspberry pi 4 8gb

• The RAK/MNTD concentrators do not have GPS capabilities if you need that (I personally dont). You can buy different ones from RAK or used on Ebay. Used on Ebay is my favorite right now