Where can I find IOT datasets

I’m looking for IOT datasets, ideally from an agricultural setup with animal tracking, but anything would be useful at this stage. Is streamable data available via TTN, and/or datasets of readings.

Thanks

First that’s very broad and not really on-topic, you might try to see if some project published a feed or even if there are any datasets in academic contexts sited in papers or something.

As for sharing data feeds, that has been asked before, and TTN is not really designed to support sharing data publicly, but rather transporting encrypted private data through shared and public resources and then making it available in decrypted (or decryptable) form uniquely to its owner(s).

Someone could chose to re-post their data to some public service like their own MQTT broker or some cloud data platform offering - but that would be something they did on their own, not a capability of TTN.

Hi cslorabox, I’ve tried questions on OpenData, searched the web dilligentily for months and came up blank. I realise that TTN may not be the right platform, but it’s a place where data creators are hanging out, and I’m hoping that from the community I’ll find something I can use. It seems odd that we can gether data but not share it …

You can share it, it’s just that sharing is out of scope for TTN and would greatly complicated the permission models.

There’s a basic philosophy in computing (probably originating with Ken Thompson) of "do one thing and do it well"

TTN attempts to cover the challenge of getting the data.

What you do with it next is a task for a different project - largely even in the normal case of consuming your own data.

1 Like

Hello MrTelly,

The TTN is only a platvorm to transport data from device (node) to your application. and this is based on Lora als platvorm.
What data you send from your device will be send 1 to 1 to the exit off the platvorm, and then you can do with the data what you want to do with it. To make your own dataset.

Regards

Johan

Maybe I should re-ask, outside of TTN do you know where I can find open IOT datasets?

1 Like

Hello MrTely,

then you can also better search outside the TTN community. If you did a search on google you get plenty site’s with a lot off information about online public or private dataset’s. Google : “agricultural dataset public”

Johan

I have live streaming data for you. Few devices with each a message every few minutes.

1 Like

@marcovanschagen - excellent how do I access your sensors/database/dataset?

@BoRRoZ - Interesting datasets but these are for machine vision, natural language processing - both text and audio, face recognition etc. All interesting but not IOT oriented.

What I’d expect is json/xml representing

Timestamp, SensorId, Value

@jwijngaard there are many open agricultural datasets out there, covering crop prices and economics https://lionbridge.ai/datasets/14-free-agriculture-datasets-for-machine-learning/. Also some IOT data https://hub.packtpub.com/25-datasets-deep-learning-iot/ but these aren’t basic IOT sensor data - the kind of stuff that TTN users/gateways must be processing every day.

If you can google up an anwser that would be great, I’ve tried hence asking here

what’s your definition of ’ basic IOT sensor data ’ ?
temperature/humidity/gps location/pressure/height/angle/on-off … I don’t know to be honest what’s ‘basic’

’ json/xml representing Timestamp, SensorId, Value ’

how can that info alone be usefull ?

@BoRRoZ temperature, soil moisture, water level (tanks and waterways), flow rate in water pipes would be a good start for the basic side of things. Those data would fit well into a simple time/value schema.

1 reason to ask this question is to get real world data to see what the sensors return. My understanding is that there’s no standards in this space? So if I have 5 different soil moisture sensors in a paddock, I’ll likely get 5 different data formats, potentially reporting different values in different ways.

It’s easy to discuss this in the abstract but that doesn’t help me process the data and decide what I need to create to make it (the data) useful. Hence what I’m after is real world data, IOT feeds or datasets.

You might want to look at https://www.movebank.org/

or

If it has to be LoRa, ask http://www.alptracker.ch/en. They might give you some data for academic purposes or not. I don’r know.