Which cheap and simple gateway to get a connection between 10th and 3rd floor?

Anywhere between one and ten TTIGs?

Possibly five per floor - one in the middle and one at each corner.

At extreme, one for each room.

Taking your own TTIG and doing a mini-survey by moving it & your device around to measure signal strength is the only sure fire way and is in fact exactly what weā€™d do in the first instance. If you put the TTIG on the middle floor and then go to the top & then the bottom of the building, youā€™d get an answer in minutes. Almost everything else is just advanced guess work.

3 Likes

I editted my first post above and added some relevant information. Does it help you to help me?

The problem is, that I live in the 10th floor and want to get a signal from a door sensor in my mailbox in the 2nd floor.

So I canā€™t put a TTIG in every floor, cause I only have one apartment here.
Thatā€™s the reason why I asked.

1 Like

You might get reception due to reflections through windows and from other buildings but you might not.

But I doubt any of the experienced people in this forum will say it will work, there are to many unknowns.

So whilst it might work, you will need to carry out a site survey, i.e. a test with actual LoRa gear.

1 Like

Ok, so which LoRa Gateway would you suggest?
It should be cheap cheap as possible and run out of the box. If I can get no connection would be good with external antenna port.

1 Like

Just try with your TTIG - youā€™ve got it plugged in - itā€™s as simple as you going downstairs and trying it out.

And as @LoRaTracker says, no one here can make a suggestion based on the information you have given and even then, probably not at all because, as I said, weā€™d do a site survey.

1 Like

Any which make use of the core Semtech GW chipsets! :wink: (SX1301+2xSX125x, Sx1308+2xSX125x, SX1302+ā€¦, SX1303+ā€¦) ie they are all much of a muchness with only minor variances based on build standard, components, temp range and environmental targets! and how well they follow or increment from the original Semtech reference designs and layoutsā€¦I repeat

Main issue is if relative position (GW directly above door sensor) is correct then the polar plot of the ant (any ant - even external ones) will show relative nulls directly above or below, reducing sensitivity - hence suggestion to offset relative position if possible. Given your new/added info above showing another building in close proximity as Stuart suggests reflections may be your freind! The only way to be sure is JFDI! ('scuse the French) - deploy and test, anything else per Nick is speculation and educated guessingā€¦I had 1 UK client years ago who deployed to an office block in Florida US - GW and main sensors were in basement (Plant room!), with last minute need to add another spare sensor to plant room attop the escalator shaft at top of buildingā€¦some 20-25 stories above! They got signal through - but suspicion was it wasnt by direct through floor connection or even signal propogation down stairwells or elevator shaft but rather by reflection from other tall office blocks a couple of kilometers away! Such conditions difficult to predict on a forum postingā€¦

1 Like

BTW where are you placing the sensor? If inside a (metal?) mailbox likely signal very attenuated becauseā€¦

1 Like

Now, as it happens, I was testing this just yesterday.

With a LoRa device in a small sweet tin and transmitting at SF12, BW 125Khz, 14dBm, LoRa reception in my Shed was marginal when the transmitter was in the tin on a table in the house about 10M away.

1 Like

Do you still have the results from when you tested a device inside your fridge to compare with?

1 Like

Its not something I have measured as such, but I recall I was doing (receiving signals from a LoRa device in my fridge\freezer) to measure the frequency drift of the SX126X devices that can operate at bandwidths down to the 7800hz minimum as they use TCXOs.

But I guess it would be useful to know how many dBm a fridge will absorb, watch this space.

1 Like

What like this one :wink:

SF7 - typically -72ā€“78dbm aro SNR8.5-11, with GWs 2 rooms away - 7-12m with 2 walls/internal windows/doors :slight_smile:

All three fridges are monitored here. See similar values across them all (BTW all are ā€˜builtā€™ in types so behind cupboard doors alsoā€¦) Worst gives typically -82 to -88dbm - they are in different rooms/locations.

1 Like

Er, no.

Unless I missed something, that just says what the reception was, not what the difference between in fridge out of fridge was ?

1 Like

It was partly a joke back to Nick after his question, however, since you ask - A couple of data points below out of the fridge (and in open room) similar distance from closest GW (a TTIG) - tends to be the main receiver reporting relevant RSSI, one floor below a Mikrotik (approx 45deg up angle from node similar horizontal distance to the TTIG, 2 floors below test LPS8, iMST Lite & TTN KSGWs! The others capture/report RSSI if TTIG busy or misses and RSSI range is typicall -73 to -91 across the test GW suite :slight_smile:

1 Like

Turns out the answer is that the fridge attenuates signals by around 30dBm, which would cut the distance\range by around a factor of 30.

Thus if you were getting 5km with a sensor outside a fridge you might only get 160m with a sensor in the fridge.

Fridges might vary ā€¦

3 Likes

And that is probably in line of sight, not with 8 building floors in between.

Do we have a new acronym here?: YFMV :grinning:

3 Likes

ā€œ2nd floorā€ contradicts the ā€œ3rd floorā€ in the title.

Mailbox on the second floor (instead of basement or first floor). Does that mean the mailbox is located more deeper inside the building and not on the outside?

1 Like

Below the buildings is a shopping mall which has ~2 floors. So donā€™t care about it, cause both buildings have same ground level. Mailbox is not deeper inside the building.

1 Like

Have you tried it yet?

1 Like

@mensa I did not see your response to this but the sensorā€™s antenna and its placement are (at minimum) of equal importance as gateway antenna and placement.

1 Like

Yes, the mailbox is metal. Itā€™s the Dragino LDS02 sensor. I think itā€™s antenna is not the best. Do you have any experience?

Tried what exactly?

I am still waiting for suggestions for a cheap and simple gateway which could do this. I currently only have the TTIG.
I know one posted the chipsets here, but isnā€™t there any out-of-the-box running gateway for beginners with much better coverage than the TTIG?

1 Like