Which gateway for a newbie? AU-Australia

@uptones You have good suggestions form Nick, Andy and Johan above that I would broadly endorse. My one caveat would be to ask if you have networking/comms experience as the Mikrotik is a router & associated dedicated routerOs and set up GUI with LoRa(WAN) grafted on and can be a heavy lift/steep curve for some (there is even a thread comparing Microtik LR8 & Dragino LPS8! - use forum search) I use both but YMMV, also for a really quick win and demo graphs/data capture/dashboard etc you can do worse than use a TTN Webhook direct from TTN Application to Cayenne/MyDevices for quick demo/show and tell - where a decoder is readily available or where device is using C-LPP or is in their repository so you just chose and run I can get graphs up in <2-5 mins depending on set up. More serious work of course would call for storage, structured DB’s etc and the things called out above are all good…

Thanks Nick! I went with a Dragino LPS8 and also a DLOS8, i have a use case for a remote site monitoring device so hopefully one of these will get the job done… now i just have to figure out how to get them connected!

Thanks Andy, I had thought AU915. Thanks for the link regarding storage and presentation of data, lots of learning to do it seems…

Thanks Jeff, I went with Dragino LPS8 which from all accounts should work but i can see there will be some learning hurdles getting the display of data problem sorted. Thanks for your feedback.

The instructions should mostly do that for you

If you tell us which device you have, we can provide recommendations for a whole variety of dashboards

Hi Nick,

That would be great! So far I have bought a LDDS75 ultrasonic level sensor and a LT-22222-L io controller. I have successfully been able to connect and read data from the LDDS75 through TTN on Node-RED but it still needs some work as it seems to drop out while i am not online? Basically if i am logged in and looking at it, it will keep transmitting its data every 20 min but if i log off, even though the gateway is still up and internet still good, the data is not visible. So for example if i go to bed i would expect to log in to TTN in the morning and see the nights data log but there is nothing there. However once i become active on TTN, the data starts coming through as normal… I would hope to use the ultrasonic as a monitoring device to either start a pump, send an sms or trigger an alarm if a tank got low but this wont work if the system goes to sleep as it seems to do…

Beyond all that, yes im very interested in any dashboard recommendations, I am yet to look at the io controller and am sure that will bring a new set of challenges haha…

Can you clarify what you mean by “not online” - Node-RED will have to be running all the time if you are to receive data through it - and the typical routing for that combo is Influx for a db and Grafana for the dashboard. See Visualizing Lora Node data with Node-red and Grafana - Hackster.io