Why some gateways display a name & others use an EUI

Hi Folks,

In an effort to measure the performace/range of my gateways I noticed that (while using the TTNmapper app) that some gateways use a “readable” name like " " while the majority are advisertised witht their eui- name.

Any logical explanation for this?

/rw

A gateway in TTN is administered using the gateway ID which can be set as a human-readable name. The second is the gateway EUI. This is the technical ID of the gateway for the LNS. While registering a gateway at TTN, depending on the protocol used by the gateway, the gateway ID is populated with the gateway EUI and will stay that way when not changed.

It is likely that the owner never set the gateway ID.

@rjwelling When registering the GW the TTN Back end ‘helpfully’ pre-populates the GW ID field with a GW ID defauit of eui-xxxxx… using the GW EUI, many user do not bother to over type with a human useable form of GW ID and just accept the default.

This is discussed in several places on the forum (usually where people confuse inability to re-register a GW EUI with the fact that it is the GW ID that cannot be re-used… again when re-registering the system will helpfully suggest… which of course has previously been used for 1st registration hence causing the error.

Many users may not even realise they can over write with something more useful (subject to characterset limitations!).

I find using something like ‘johns-farm-north-field’, or ‘universityofxxxx-clock-tower’, or ‘loratown-south’ much more friendly when viewed on a list c/w a eui-xxxxxx version…if user only has one or two GW’s then not a problem but a longer list may benefit from a more human approach and of course fleets benefit (usefull for larger TTN deployments or where using a private instance), or where other users find the GW on maps.

For example am currently in N.East UK updating GW’s, deploying sensors and mapping community coverage and a local GW is GW ID “g-s3-testgw008-laird-ne41” named " Genesis-S3_TestGW008_Laird_(NE41)", this immediately tells me its a test gw (hence on TTN for community use) in my private fleet, from one of my community sponsoring companies (g-s3), vs a production GW for client benefit or ownership, its a Laird (and I know in this case will be an RS186) and is located in UK postcode area NE41 xxx which will be covering the Wylam/Prudhoe/Crawcrook/Clara Vale/Ovingham area of the River Tyne Valley - as part of the Tyne Valley community network without having to go look up in a longer list of GW’s