Wifi/BLE Paxcounter Project with ESP32 boards

New paxcounter v1.3.71 released:

• Reworked IDE settings to use Espressif32 platform v1.0.1
  • Increased app partition table size to 2 MB
  • New feature: reading battery voltage by ADC (if supported by board), new rcommand 0x83
  • Improved performance by decreasing watchdog trigger delays in loop tasks
  • Small bug fixes
1 Like

This has probably nothing to do with the Paxcounter, it might be better in the ESP32 thread…

Disclaimer: I have zero experience with ESP32…

I just received a TTGO v2.1 and the display is looking strange:

(I have modified the splash screen to highlight the issue)

I first thought the display was broken on one side, but when it is flipped the broken part is flipped as well.

This is the latest code, problem is identical if I rollback to 1.3.6 / 0.12.0 ESP32 platform.

It looks to me the issue is hardware (display controller)…

Any other idea? Anything I can try?

Thanks

just give the device a power cycle (disconnect USB and battery). After second boot this strange effect disappears.

I had this with new devices, too, and it always disappeared after 2nd power cycle.

I have no idea what’s the root cause for this strange behaviour. Maybe it’s caused by some issue between SSD1306 display controller and U8x8 library.

1 Like

Much better :grinning:

IMG_1826

The power cycle did the trick, thank you!

2 Likes

But the remaining question is: WHY?

As far as I can see once it is power-cycled, it remains good.

So maybe the “factory firmware” put the display in a weird mode which is only reset at the next power cycle…

The OLED display does not have RST connected via a GPIO. When the code is halted and the device (ESP32/display) is not reset the old contens stays on the display. A power cycle forces the display to lose its contents so this could possibly explain it.

Just made some current measurement with the TTGO V2.1…

TTGOv21

At 3.7v it takes a bit more than 300mA in operation, with small peaks to 385mA when it sends a LORA packet.

I still have a mystery to solve: I can’t power it on with a battery, I need to briefly apply power from the USB; then when it is on I can’t power it off, I have to unplug the battery.
The documented single-click / double-click doesn’t seem to work…

2 Likes

that screen looks like a siglent 3055 :sunglasses:

1 Like

The double click button does work.
If no USB is plugged and a battery is attached while it is off, then you can power on with single press on the button, and power off with double press.

New pacounter firmware version 1.3.8 is out!

It now supports the new TTGO T-Beam board, including GPS!

The generated payload fields are ttnmapper compatible. You can have ttnmapper integration of your paxcounter device in TTN with a few clicks.

Code is for serial GPS interface. Will be enhanced to I2C soon.

Paxcounter v1.3.8

3 Likes

Doesn’t work for me :pensive:
The button physically works, because reset is working, but I can’t power on, nor power off (to test power off, I boot with USB + battery, then switch USB off so it is battery only. I can do reset and it will reboot, but I can’t power it off…)

Some hardware issue I’m afraid…

You need to boot on battery, otherwise the switch only resets the board.

Yeah…
… but that doesn’t work :frowning:
Nothing happens when I press the button

Hmm, i don’t know. On my board it works, same on TTGO T-Beam. It took while until i figured it out how to operate the button. Maybe same to you :wink:

Here how i did it:

• disconnect USB and battery from board
  • connect battery (full?)
  • press button once
    -> board powers up
  • press button twice
    -> board switches off

Yes, this is what I did…
I tried with the LiPos I use for my other nodes, and with my lab power supply; pressing the button just does nothing.
Short press, long press… nothing worked :roll_eyes:

Other than that, it is working quite good: with the device indoor, I see that packets are received by a gateway 8km from home!

> select * from gateway order by time desc limit 3
name: gateway
time                           channel dev_id            gtw_id               rssi snr
----                           ------- ------            ------               ---- ---
2018-06-10T19:04:34.467040803Z 1       bulles-ttg21-01   eui-b827ebfffed1c970 -41  9.5   <-- mine
2018-06-10T19:04:34.46688818Z  1       bulles-ttg21-01   bigbazar             -119 -12   <-- 8km
2018-06-10T19:04:34.4667012Z   1       bulles-ttg21-01   bulles-ic880-02      -45  12.5  <-- mine
1 Like

8 km, that s a lot. do you live in rural area, sending from a hill? line of sight?

thx
g.

Both points are in Brussels, so it is not particularly rural…
But I think they are both on a higher point compared to the surroundings; there are probably not too many buildings between both.
Note that the owner of the ˋbigbazar` gateway is anonymous, I have no mean of contacting him to check the correctness of its position… probably need some “wardriving” in that area…

Is there a smart way to upgrade in platformio? I just copied the new code over the old and redid the settings.