Anyone tried Laird RM1XX modules?

the delay was with Farnellā€¦ not Mouser.
but maybe they have ā€˜solvedā€™ their problems with export licensesā€¦ maybe they really have stock now, who knows, good to know and nice that more people start playing with this incredible underrated module.

• credits for the adapter PCB go to Charles - CH2I

Yes, indeed :slight_smile:

Now waiting for pcbs.io to ship, says ā€˜Awaiting Panelizationā€™ since 5 days now, hope they will ship soon.

as a ā€˜newbieā€™ on solderingā€¦ be very very carefullā€¦ its not that easy :wink:

Iā€™m thinking of ordering some test boards to get some experience with this kind of precise soldering.
Do you have any advice for me?

Worst case scenario I break a ā‚¬20 board, so will see what happens :wink:

very good idea ! :wink:

Lol :smile:
Yes I know from China is slow but also incredibly cheap!

updating firmware LAIRD RM186 :

connect your RM186 adapterboard with usb serial ( I used this one but others will do )

serial/adapter
Tx Rx
Rx Tx
RTS CTS
DTR RTS
3V3 BLE/LORA
GND 1/8/11/14/21/24

after soldering and wiring check with the terminal program if you can communicate with the module and check the current firmware.
attention switch the usb serial converter to 3V3 logic and make sure that the Vcc of the module is 3v3 !
so donā€™t feed it direct from your PC

now check communication from within the terminal program:

AT I 3

the module answers with the firmware version, here 18.4.0.26

create an account (free) at the LAIRD site where you can check for the latest firmware, download the zip file.

inside youā€™ll find RM1xxUartFwUpgrade.exe the tool to upload the new firmware, which is alsoo included.
at this moment 18.4.1.0

now start this toolā€¦ and point to the new firmware image

finally start your terminal again

and youā€™re up to date

3 Likes

@BoRRoZ
thanks for the update procedure, any new features on this version or just bug fixes ?

Itā€™s a big and worthy update. BLE pairing actually works now :slight_smile:

also LoRa stack updates

You should also be able to update via the JTAG (SWD/Segger) if you donā€™t have Windows.

2 Likes

The following changes have been made for 18.4.1.0 release:

• Updated LoRa Stack to 4.3.0
  • As part of stack update, if JoinRequest fails, the module automatically resends the JoinRequest.
  • Changed the ids for DevEui, AppEui, AppKey, NwkSKey, AppSKey, and DevAddr. AppKey, NwkSKey and
    AppSKey are now write only. This is to close a potential security problem. All existing modules must be
    reconfigured with the new ids.
  • Added in new LoramacSetOption() parameter to allow the user to modify the datarate for the 2
    Rx window. This avoids a problem with the iot.semetech.com website where they still use the old value of
    DR_3 for this window.
  • Bug fix - BLE bonding now works.
  • Bug fix ā€“ LoramacGetOption() now outputs the correct values for AppEui and DevEui.
  • ChannelsMask value can now be obtained in the RM191.
  • Added new events for the TxDone signal, ADR command from the gateway, and when a receive window times out.

thanks guys, youā€™re so prompt;-)

• dingdong ā€¦ the AM2305 NOT ! I2C temp sensor ready for outdoor use

looks niceā€¦ more RM186 driver work :sunglasses: PDF specs

• I thought it was equal to this which has a real I2C interface
    So I can use it with an arduino one wire lib, but it will be more difficult to use with RM186
1 Like

I need the same (size and price) with I2C sensors (BME280, SI7021 or HTU21D), this one controlled by only one wire are just so complicated in term of strict timing/measure time when coding on multitasking os such as linux :wink:

1 Like

How are you guys programming this module. Using the docs from Laird?
Never used smartBASIC beforeā€¦

I use docs from the Laird site to learn and also study example programs.

Oh thanks @BoRRoZ :slight_smile:

We are designing a small board with gps and accelerometer using this module.

Is anyone else working on something similar? would be good to compare notes :slight_smile:

diy evolution :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Nice! Iā€™m actually using a similar case for my RN2483+Teensy nodes :blush: . Which and how many batteries do you use?

1 or 2 lipo 750 mA

found the cheap enclosures here

* thereā€™s not much 'height !

What is the battery life of these?