Anyone tried Laird RM1XX modules?

Yay modules arrived. Thanks Mouser, all sequential EUI numbers! Easier to script :slight_smile:

Still canā€™t register to Laird website, web site says invalid captcha but does not show any on the web page (of course tried several browsers), 1st time didnā€™t received activation email, now, no captcha, whatā€™s next :yum:

I had to switch off adblocker and other filter things completely

I asked to support to create an account, itā€™s done :slight_smile: very quickly

Must say that Iā€™m a bit miffed that the LoRa antenna doesnā€™t come out on a pin like the RN2483. Got my fingers burnt with cheap pigtails in the past so tend to use decent ones that cost $$$. Shame really, as the current configuration means that the antenna ends up being a significant cost in the BOM :cry:

Hiā€¦as per my knowledge the RM186 can collect data from external sources by interfacing directly with a sensor over a UART, SPI or, I2C serial communication channel or over a wireless BLE connection if a sensor is physically connected to a BLE peripheral device.Data can also be gathered internally using the analog or digital IO pins.

How can I communicate from my PC/Laptop (win10) with an RM186 via BLE ?

-what software/hardware do I need ?
-is it possible to ā€˜uploadā€™ smartbasic programs this way ?
-what is a ā€˜laird suppliedā€™ adapter ? is that diffent then ā€˜normalā€™ BT adapters ?

this is from the ā€˜smartBASIC Extensions v1.0 - RM1xxā€™ documentation :

• update

UwTerminalX v1.06 for Windows, Linux and Mac

News from Laird support regarding the virtual serial port:

Iā€™m pretty sure this means smartBASIC uploads over bluetooth are not possible, however Iā€™m following up with support to make sure.

3 Likes

deepsleep power consumption RM 186

uartclose()
rc = LORAMACSleepMode()
rc = SystemStateSet(0)

1 Like

Hello,

i have got a RM186 DevKit too. After sometime i found a way to send data to my raspberry pi single channel gateway with rfm95. I used the cmd.loramac.rm1xx.sb exmaple and apb. I can also see the incoming packets. But i donā€™t get any data from ttn. Does someone have an idea?

Jurkov

Hi Jurkov did you find the answer ?

Yes, itā€™s a bit strange. To send to a raspberry pi single channel gateway use channel 1 without ack (lora send Hello 1 0). I needed to switch the two keys for ABP on RM186 to get it working. Could there be a bug @BWhitten?

1 Like
1 Like

I received a RM186 dev kit and i have been playing around with it for a couple of days now.

I wrote a simple BLE scanner + Lora program myself and tried it on the board, it seemed to run pretty well.
But once i tried to run the code in ā€œautorunā€ mode, it seems to do not more than 1 or 2 Lora calls, and it goes quiet.

Here is version of jmarcelino program : http://pastebin.com/NGuCUi1v (just simplified HndlrAdvRpt)
I tried with this, same result.

If you can, can you let me know if you see the same result? on ā€œAutorunā€ mode?

Hi @shagan,

That happens - as best I can understand - because the print statements open the UART and expect a connection (indicated by RTS/CTS flow control?) to something that can accept what your are print-ing

Once you unplug the board from the computer and set it to autorun the UART connection doesnā€™t exist, so the print statements start filling the small internal serial buffer up. When full everything stops until a UART is connected.

For autorun deployments I simply comment out the print statements. That works well for me with thousands of transmissions using that script you based yours on.

I think there is also a way to set print to go somewhere else other than UART (something like NULL work work great) but Iā€™m not sure how.

Hope that helps.

I remove J5 (RTS->CTS) in ā€œAutorunā€ mode to disable flow control.

1 Like

Good point.

Another solution is to disable flow control in smartBASIC by adding:

UartClose()
result = UartOpen(115200,0,0,ā€œCN81Nā€)

to your startup code. That will keep it ticking nicely.

Thanks a ton guys! it worked!!!

All i need now is to glow a few 12V bulbs (R, G, B) based on Lora response.
I was thinking of using Arduino shield pins, but not sure about pin mappings.
Any examples are welcome!

regards
Shankar

I am unaware of a bug with personalisation keysā€¦
Could you give some more detail about your setup, unfortunately I donā€™t have that gateway config to try it out.